Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Feb 95 12:55:29 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: 12volt electric heaters

Hey, I gotta jump in here. This point intrigues me. I spent a lot of time rebuilding the heater system for the 82. New flaps were found (orange silicone disc inserts), all the heater boxes were sealed and all the joints were sealed and a thermostat was installed. In other words every effort was made to ensure that the maximum possible heat could get from the rear to the front. And you know what? The air IS hot and the flow is pretty good too even at idle (with a fan installed) except in the most coldest of temps - 20 C. To me the issue is not whether the heating system in Vanagons is insufficient or that air -cooled engines produce lousy heat. This is not true. The real problem is a) getting the heat from the front to the back in as efficient way possible and b) making it stay there. Simply put, the space is huge and the single tube is just not up to it. So, what is really needed is a way to insulate the van properly (as was discussed this summer) and improving on the existing system to increase air flow. Ideally VW should have had a third tube running up to the rear seat and a way of recirculating all the hot air inside, plus a lot of top quality insulation in the doors, roof and panels.

wp ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------