Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 01 Feb 95 14:26:00 EST
From:         "Kramer, James" <kramja@edc1.edc.ca>
Subject:      WESTFALIA ADVICE NEEDED!

After owning several type 1 VWs, I eventually downsized to owning just my 67 Ghia cabriolet in 1992. But I've always loved Westfalias and have been fighting the urge to get one for some time. I think it's a losing battle, and before I do lose it I'd like to get others' advice about buying one. I think I'd prefer a 70s model since I like the older styling (when did the chrome bumpers go anyway?) and am not likely to find many pre-70 buses in good shape. Anyway, any help in the following areas would be really appreciated:

1) What to look for when checking the vehicle over?

I know what to look for and avoid when it comes to Beetles and Ghias, but Westfalias are completely foreign to me. What should I look for (i.e. things that should and shouldn't be)? Is there a reference or buyers guide for making good choices out there? What are the pros and cons of the different generations/model years?

2) Can a 70s box be made winter-worthy?

Here in Ottawa, Canada they salt the roads in winter. My fiancee points out that my Ghia already sits on blocks all winter, and that we need winter-worthy transportation (she wants a Golf). Is bus heat as mediocre as other air-cooled machines? Is it feasible to somehow prevent the spead of cancerous rust through oil-sprays or other conditioning? Or is it basically just a bad idea to hope to keep a Westfalia "clean" if it gets exposure to winter roads?

3) What are the biggest pros and cons of owning a Westfalia? How far and fast can you reasonably travel on the 4 cylinder engine, and what is the "best" engine to look for? I've been told hydraulic lifters are a real blessing - when did they first appear?

Thanks to all who can find the time to share their insights and experience!