Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Feb 1995 23:08:45 -0800 (PST)
From:         dworkin <dworkin@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: Clicking in Wheels - Ideas of why?

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Jack Agnew wrote:

> OK, so now I got another wierd thing going on with my '86 Westy. > It is a heavy clicking that seems to be comming from the wheel(s) that is > rotational (it speeds up when I do) and then goes away when there appears > to be enough rotational speed to keep whatever it is in place. This is > not a heavy metal sound, but neither does it sound "tinny".

There are four possible sources of this problem, two of them covered by others. They are:

(already covered causes)

1) Wheel bearings - much as I hate to admit an auto shop mechanic may have two or more gray cells in communication, this is the most likely source of the noise.

2) Hub caps - especially the "wire wheels" aftermarket variety, which clack at low speeds and whine at high speeds. Less likely, but WAY cheaper to fix, so by all means, give it a try.

(other stuff)

3) CV Joints - you don't say if it is a front or rear wheel noise. If it is in the rear wheels, check your CV joint boots and mileage. If your boots are torn or you have 60K-100K miles on the beast, suspect CV joints.

4) (last, and most personally embarassing) Loose lugs. I drove around for a couple of days once with the wierdest low-speed-only click scrape sound as my lugs wore the holes in my wheels into perfect ovals and the wheels scraped all the threads off my lugs. I finally had a friend follow the car (a '47 Dodge super-duper beetle) and watch the wheels to see if he could see anything moving. He did.

By all means, let us know how this turns out.

H Steven Dolan dworkin@netcom.com

PS (unrelated and non-VW) I just got home from the house I bought in foreclosure last week. Finally got the heat working (radiator hot water). if all you water-cooled volk think the vanagon is complicated, try bleeding a house. Spent 4 hrs travelling from floor to floor bleeding 6 radiators in turn as the air bubbles moved between them. And no way to raise the front end 36"!