Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 95 9:00:44 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Ecu & Idle Stabilizer

I had the idle stabilizer replaced on our 82 at a VW dealership in Palo Alto. The engine would cut out after a high speed run or when driving around town, even though it would start flawlessly.

I assumed, incorrectly, that the VW dealership would have the diagnostic expertise and tools to determine the problem immediately. Wrong! They were more interested in fixing and selling Porsches than dealing with a VW van (the tech head to his credit immediately replaced the door springs as part of a VW recall for that year- even though I knew nothing of the recall).

Initially the VW techs said the problem was a collapsed hose - replacement cost - 40 dollars (the one from the air distributor to the aux. air regulator). Problem still exists.

Then they said that the problem was a collapsed air hose from the air intake sensor to the air distributor. No change and another 20 dollars.

Then they said that the problem was an air leak on the left intake gasket. No change and the bills are mounting.

Finally I insisted they swap parts until they fixed the problem, which they did and at their expense. Diagnosis? A faulty idle stabilizer and judging from its looks it is made by and for AUDI. The cost for the part? 100.00 dollars. Labour for all this mess? another 150 dollars..... The lesson? Don't take your Vanagon to a dealer with a problem the day before you expect to go on a big trip (we were). You will be more willing to part with your money for the convenience of having someone do the work you could normally do yourself or at least learn to do yourself.

I should also point out that I did eventually end up replacing all of the hoses myself and testing all the other FI components and installing a new full throttle switch, so the level of technical expertise that I now have is at least on par with most VW techies. In other words the learning curve might be steep but its a great investement.

DC

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------