Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Feb 95 09:55:09 CST
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Westy auxiliary battery s...

You guys are driving me crazy talking about this stuff so I have to answer even though I have done so in the past:

1. Do not use a dual battery isolator (robs too much voltage from a VW alternator); use electrically operated relays instead.

2. You can fit a deep cycle marine battery behind/underneath the driver (of a Vanagon) if you allow the battery to stick up slightly higher than normal and then fabricate a rug/tin covering to hide it. If you have swivel seats then trim away the right rear corner of the swivel base so you can still swivel you r seat without hitting the battery.

3. Do not ever wire your batteries together since the one will drain the other; always use relays to keep at least one of them disconnected when the motor is off.

--Derek Drew

<---- End Included Message ----> Derek,

Correct me if I am wrong,... I often am.

The Ideal situation would be to have a dual output alternator (one with two windings) connecting to seperate circuits: one would be the regular van battery. the other would be wired to three golf cart batteries (instead of the deep cycle battery). I think the would be wired parallel, but I am not sure.

This configuration gives a complete separation of the two battery systems. The problem with the deep cycle batteries is that they are designed to drained completely and then recharged completely, the golf cart battery arrangement is ideal for shorter, medium to light usage and then topped off with a recharge. The problem would be coming up with a dual output alternator for a VW.

** As an aside: in putting together my latest fire truck project I used a 120 amp dual output alternator one side connected to the truck battery, and the other side connected to (2) 8d auxillary batteries. The truck batteries are continually topped off with a shore power connection. I used the deep cycle because those emergency lights suck the power like nothing else.