Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Feb 95 16:37:03 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: WESTFALIA ADVICE NEEDED!

Greetings: Strange that we are both own KG cabriolets, both live in Ottawa and both have a desire for a Westy (mine fulfilled). My personal experience has been to purchase a good California version and bring it back to Canada, and to get the Vanagon version. Why? Well you are unlikely to find a good 70's Westy in these parts, and even though the 70's version may look better (very debatable) it has substantially less room and is not as well equipped as the 80's variations. There is a FAQ which will describe the differences between the models but essentially it comes down to better handling, more space, smarter design and more refined design of the FI system and engine. I would even go one step further and say that of all the Westy versions from the 50's up to the Eurovan the Vanagon Westy is the best....judging from the number of 80s Westys on the road even in winter up here, I think many Canadians would agree with me. They most likely have them treated with Rustcheck or OilGard on an annual basis.

Others on the list will have substantially different opinions on what you should consider buying - good luck ......DC BTW I suggest you scan the FAQ's first before making a decision. These will tell you which years to avoid.... ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------