Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Feb 95 14:36:42 PST
From:         Ed McMullin <Ed_McMullin@ccm.jf.intel.com>
Subject:      Re[2]: advice needed-rebuilding engine

>Over many years I have worked on bug, BMW and volvo engines. Each one I >repeated at least one more time and yet the job wasn't as successful as >I liked. The only satisfactory rebuild was the very first time of a bug >engine DONE BY MY MECHANICS!!! Sad sad sad!!! > >After so many unsuccessful effort, I learned a simple lesson. Replace >parts that need to be replaced and pay $$$$. Or the effort (of saving $$$$) >could be wasted. > >The biggest $$$$ item is the cylinder heads. People tend to try to salvage >them by rebuilding them. More likely they either fail to perform as you wished >or do not last long. The cylinder liner set (cylinders and pistons/rings) is >an item must be replaced. It is not cheap (except bug engines) but worth the >cost. If you can afford it, replacing cam/rocker/lifter completely to get up >to another 10 years of engine life is possible. Get a new oil pump or make >sure yours is reconditioned to get maximum pressure. > >My mechanics has a fairly good reputation of rebuilding engines. His secret is >get everything replaced. You pay more and get a satisfactory rebuild. > >Flames (not to me) please as this is an interesting subject. > >David Kao > > Well I must agree. Over the christmas break, I talked with my dad about rebuilding VW engines. He had told me that his motors lasted only 50-60k miles. I was wondering why this is the case, and basically he only replaced the really bad parts. He would reuse everything else, and I'm sure that many of these parts were borderline at best. I had posted about the trip about cams earlier, but I had to replace mine, it was worn real bad. The real problem with the engine that I'm rebuilding is that there is pieces of bearing material everywhere. This has worn out the oil pump as well. The heads I have are cracked between the two exaust seats, and thus are junk. I think it is good advice to replace your heads with new stuff. It just seems that a dropped seat or a swallowed valve is too much risk with all the other stuff which is heavily invested. There's my 2 cents. Chris Bridge A welder without a welding machine A machinist without a lathe of his own Both are just like: A VW freak without a running VW!!! Currently building an engine for a ''71 Westy E-mail cbridge@vt.edu

I'll second that. My '75 FI motor was rebuilt 'bout a year ago. My regular shop wanted $2800 to do the job. I found another VW shop that my friend had gone to and he quoted us $1400.

Well, after about 2 weeks, we got the Van back and it ran just like it did before it died. About a month later, it started to run very poorly and we took it back to the shop that had rebuilt the motor. He had it for about a week and gave up. He wanted to replace a few parts but would not guarantee that it would fix it. He finally gave up and basically asked me to come get it off his lot.

I took it back to my regular shop and they had it for 1 day before determining the cam had gone bad. I called the shop that had rebuilt the motor and he said he would rebuild the motor again. On the invoice, it said "good used cam N/C" so I told him I would buy a new German cam and lifters.

Ok, another 3 weeks go by (and $171 for cam & lifters-provided by my regular shop!) and I go pick up the bus. 5 miles (FIVE) down the road, the motor exploded. Apparently the rebuilder had forgotten to tighten one of the crank bolts or something, but my new German cam ended up in 3 pieces, two cylinders and pistons were destroyed, and the case had a big hole in it.

SOOOO, towed it back to the rebuilder (it was closed) and called him the next day. He was not happy. Tried to blame it on my driving, etc. I told him that no matter how hard I might have abused it, it should have lasted more than 5 miles.

He had it another 3 weeks while he paid for all the new parts he needed and rebuilt it again.

Since then, my wife doesn't feel comfortable in it because of the job the rebuilder did. (it's also pretty cold)

Next time: my regular shop gets the $2800.

If anyone wants a good VW/Audi shop in the Portland, OR area, mail me. They not only provided me with the cam/lifters for the rebuilder at cost, but are always extremely helpful when it comes to novice questions. I recently put a used transaxle in my '69 Ghia and he told me all the things I would need to do and gave me lots of good advice on doing it myself.

EdM ed_mcmullin@ccm.jf.intel.com

'75 Van '69 Ghia

Both bright orange!