Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 1995 08:32:32 EST
From:         7039ckrah@umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Subject:      Re: puzzler

Wolf u got it. The accelerator pump tube was missing. The next question I was CONCERNED with was: Where was it. Did it fall off when I was soaking it. Did it go into the intake? (The rough running engine gave me great concern.) A buddy convinced me I threw the baby out with the wash as he handed me a spare accelerator pump tube. He also insured me that an assembled carberator would prevent a loose accelerator pump tube from coming out and falling (or sucked) into the intake. Reinstalled the spare APT into the carberator, installed carberator, and started it up. Again, very rough, puff of smoke, then smooooth. Wow, I guess I threw the APT out with the GUNK. Down the road for a quick spin. Accelerator throttle stuck wide open! Back home quickly. Carberator off - spare APT wedged in the throttle! Maybe the first one went through the intake into one of the cylinders. Anyway, MAKE SURE the accelerator pump tube is seated very tightly into the body of the carberator before reassembly because it can come off even after assembling the two portions of your 34 PICT-3 carberator. Foo ran fine for about another 50 miles, before I lost function of one of my cylinders. Went to do a compression test and found cylinder 1 had a flattend spark plug (no gap!) Ouch ... my biggest fears. There's where my APT went. Compression was excellent though! Ran the engine with the spark plug out just in case it was still floppin' around somehow in there. It being the coldest time of the year up here in the North East, I didn't have the perseverance to pull the head for the appropriate check (I have no garage either). Anyways, new plugs and a 1000 mi later every thing seems alright. I'll let you know if anything develops. I'm finally getting the courage to turn up the radio and the grip on the steering wheel is now only to compensate for the play in the steering.

christian