Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 1995 10:19:00 -0600 (CST)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Preliminary Tools List

This is a test run of the tools list. I took the 15 or so responses I received and ran them together along with what little knowledge I have on the subject. There are some holes in here. It would be great if people could respond to me or the list and answer the question marks that are below. I have not checked this against Muir's list. There are few or no parts listed here. It makes sense that if you are doing a bearing job you should have some grease, etc. Also, I typed it up as a Unix file so if you all could spell check it that would be great. I will finalize in a week or less and post the results. It is in American-eze, with emphasis on Sears, etc. If there is some size wrench or socket or anything missing please let me know. I like to minimize my 10 mile trips to Sears. It is said in here somewhere but I will say it again here. This is a pretty expensive list of tools. You can start out with much less. I, however, want the whole banana now. So, this is it, or will be soon.

This would be a list of tools that you should have to work on your VW. It is a compilation of suggestions I received from people. There are things on the list you might never need but others have found useful. There are questions to be answered concerning some of the items. Please read this over and answer them if you can and I will make the corrections and repost. It should be noted that I don't want to start big debates about what kind of torque wrench is best. If the one listed is adequate for most and cheaper and more easily available then we should leave it at that. Same goes for the rest.

First off, get some eye protection. After you are in the emergency room is the wrong time to be wishing you had been wearing some.

Secondly, buy a fire extinguisher. Put is under or behind your front seat. Make sure your frequent passengers and mechanical assistants know where it is and how to work it. These are $10-$15 at K-Mart in the U.S. Four things will kill your love - wrecks, neglect, rust and fire.

GENERAL COMMENTS

When buying tools from Sears be sure to get the Craftsman brand and not the Sears brand. The former is superior in quality and caries the infamous lifetime gaurantee.

Snap On and Mac tools, available in the U.S., will have a nicer finish and might be more heavy duty but will probably not be worth the price difference from the Craftsman for just about anything short of a professional. Also, when you break a tool at three o'clock Sunday afternoon you know where the Sears will be parked. As far as I know those other brands are only available from the person driving a truck around selling to shops.

Check the sales at Sears around Father's Day and other holidays aimed at buying things for your average manly man. Also, go there and get their Hand and Power tools catalog (you know when Joel bothers to put it in caps it must be important). I suppose they might have some thing in there some stores might not stock but could be ordered.

You should be looking for one of the prepackaged semi-huge all metric sets of sockets, etc. They would have all threee sizes of ratchets and sockets, deep and shallow drive. There will also be various length extensions and adapters. If you catch them or wait for the right sale you might even get 10% off or a free toolbox or set of pliers.

Some of the suggestions here are obviously overdone. I am striving to get a complete set of tools listed. Most people could to a tuneup and many other repairs with about 10% of this list. The suggestions made are usually done in the name of having the right tool for the job (which also has a safety factor to it) and long term cost savings.

RATCHETS

1/2" 3/8" 1/4" drives

Torque wrench -- 1/2" drive, ratcheting type seems preferable to the dial type. A 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor bit is nice, too. Craftsman 1/2" bi-directional goes 20-150 pounds, part # (9)44543, and comes recommended.

Breaker bars in 1/2" and 3/8"

SOCKETS

1/2" -- 10,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,30,36mm full hexagon if you can get 'em. i.e. six point as oppossed to twelve.

3/8" -- 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19mm -- 10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19mm deep drive

1/4" -- 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19mm -- 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14mm deep drive

hex-head -- sizes?

torx-head -- sizes?

extensions 1/2" -- 3",6",9",12"

3/8" -- sizes?

1/2" t-bar

universal joint adaptor 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"

SCREWDRIVERS

Rechargeable electric w/interchangeable bits for tight spots and general ease on the wrist.

Ridiculously large flat blade screwdriver with a lifetime guarantee. (TM)

At least one with interchangeable bits that has allen heads, too. The rechargeable one might have these.

Stubby type sizes and everything up the large one above.

WRENCHES

Open-end/Box-end 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,15,17,19,21

PLIERS

Needle nose, circlip, wire crimping, channel lock, regular, side cutters, sheet metal sheers.

VISE GRIPS

Needle nose, small, large. Good advice here it to get the Vise Grip brand. Made in De Witt, Nebraska.

PULLERS/CLAMPS

Wheel bearing seal puller, "G" type clamps (I assume this is a lot like a "C" clamp), two armed gear puller, harmonic balancer puller. Somebody please give this portion some help.

ALLEN/HEX HEAD WRENCHES

2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,17mm Ball type drive ones are nice, too, if you can find them. The big mutha is for the transaxle fluid.

CRESENT WRENCHES

6,12,18"

CHISELS/PUNCHES

Center punch, flat-end punch, small chisel, large chisel.

HAMMERS

Both small and large in hard and rubber, ball peen, too.

DRILL

Variable speed, what size? Metal cutting bits.

MISC

Little mechanics mirror on extendable handle for looking into places smaller than your head.

Flourescent trouble light, no burns, more shockproof.

One magnetic-type and one claw-type grabber for picking up things through holes smaller than your hand.

Reamer, for making small holes larger.

Timing light

Tach-dwell-volt meter

Grease gun with flexible hose.

Compression guage, get the type with the screw-in head and pressure release button, so you can do it yourself. [Can we assume that Sears has decent prices on this and electrical type equipment?]

5' fence post makes a nice cheater bar

You can never have too many 10 or 13mm wrenches or sockets

Feeler guage, consensus has it that you should spend a little extra on the nice one. Think about what a 0.001" distance is and how much you like you valves.

Broom handle, maybe two is you are working on the front end like Muir.

Pocket knife, razor blade type cutter.

Hacksaw

WD-40

Hand cleaner, gloves, ear plugs

Propane torch

Liquid wrench

Oxyacetylen torch, for when the above doesn't work

Clutch alignment tool, aka wooden dowel

Ring compressor

Plastiguage

Steel ruler

Micrometer

Battery charger

Old tooth brushes

Wire brush

3-ton floor jack

6-ton jack stands

Electrical tape

Test light

SPARE PARTS

I will not go into this. My own philosophy on this one has been to buy two if I can afford it, so I have one for the next time. At a minimum I should guess a spare clutch cable, throttle cable and some fuel hose.

-- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/