Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 1995 10:58:23 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Injection Cleaner

> Here's one for the home tool kit that you don't need to bring on the > road. > > > Gas has gotten 'better' but deposits still form on the injectors, > especially in our hot engine compartments. Here's how to clean them > for a high initial expense ~$55 but very effective after the setup > is made. > > 3M makes a kit containing all the parts but it is VERY expensive. A > cheaper route is to just buy the following: > > -get just the hose from the kit, it is available separately. this > hose consists of a threaded adapter to go on a can of 3M cleaner, an > on/off valve, and a brass fitting at the end. this hose will cost > ~$35 as opposed to over $200 for the kit. > > - also, while at the FLAPS, buy a can of the 3M cleaner, these are > pricey (~$16) > > -take the hose to any good hardware store that has plumbing fittings. > buy: a small galvanized female 'T' > a M-M adapter (brass) that goes from the end of the 3M hose > and threads into the 'T' > a male thread nipple that fits the other end of the 'T' and > terminates in a 1/4" hose barb > a 0-100 psi water pressure gauge with a bottom thread that > fits into the top of the 'T' > a 2 foot section of 1/4" fuel line > 2 small hose clamps > > assemble this all together with teflon tape on the threads. use 1 > hose clamp on the fuel line to barb connection and loosely place the > other clamp on the open end of the fuel line > > To use: > this whole setup attaches onto fuel system from the little > T-shaped thingy right by the distributor. depressurize the van fuel > system then unsrew that tiny bolt in the top of the T. attach the > free end of the fuel line hose from the tool you just made. > energize the fuel pump once and then disconnect. start and run the > engine at idle until it dies. there are good instructions on the > can of 3M cleaner but essentially what this system does is run your > engine for about 10 minutes off of this (large) can of pressurized > injector cleaner. when the can is empty, the engine dies and your > injectors are clean! > > This has noticably smoothed out the idle on both of my vans. I like to do it > about once a year. > > An advantage of this setup is that one also gets to watch fuel > pressures on the guage. Helps to determine how the regulator is > working. Do not use this setup on CIS systems as the fuel pressures > run too high. > > If this isn't clear let me know and I'll fill in the gaps. > > -dan >

Would not putting in a can of Chevron Techlorine a tank or two before an oil change have the same effect? I run on Chevron Supreme, and 4 times a year put in Chevron's wonder additive. The van runs like a top. It is important to do an oil change after a burning these cleaners as the deposits end up in the oil. Just my 0.02 worth.

Harry Yates Internet hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia '87 Golf Diesel