Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 95 15:53:05 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Chevron Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner

On Fri, 10 Feb 95 15:21:42 CST Erik Soule said: >I doubt anyone can prove or dispute the Techroline theory, but I have one >question: >How do the deposits end up in your oil?

as i understand it, the techron stuff dissolves the carbon deposits ... which are then carried along in solution by the techron. since the techron was mixed with your gasoline, it either gets burned up or blown past the rings into your oil.

if you run mostly highway miles, less of it goes into the oil.

if you run stop and go city miles (or even worse, idling), more of it gets into the oil.

now, i can't prove any of this. but i do know and can prove the following: * the techron bottle label says NO MORE than two bottles of the stuff into your gas tank without changing the engine oil. (so THEY think it is getting into the oil). * idling your car WILL put higher amounts of unburned gasoline into your engine oil (i've had my engine oil analyzed several times, and the one time i 'warmed up' the oil by letting the car idle for 30 minutes, the percentage fuel dilution (unburned gas in the oil) was like four times higher than the other times (when i had driven 20 miles to heat up the oil).

so my rule of thumb is: anytime you add something to your gas, plan on doing an oil change before you add it again. joel