Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Feb 95 17:47:22 PST
From:         David.Kao@Eng.Sun.COM (David Kao)
Subject:      Re: cam question

Here is my IMHO:

If your lifters also have low miles as your cam does then reuse them. It's better to risk the old cam/old lifter combo than the old cam/new lifter. Replace them all or reuse them all, in addition to replacing the bent push rod. Before splitting the case you can use a magnet to extract all lifters out of the case instead of falling all over.

The first time I worked on my volvo 264, I replaced a worn rocker arm which was making loud valve tappet noise. It lasted a few thousand miles. The rocker was worn out again. I replaced the camshaft and the worn rocker. A few more thousand miles later the new cam and another rocker bit into each other. The 264 has sat on my drive way since then. Oh, while working on cam and rocker I made a mistake by kidding the fuel distributor (mechanical FI). It quitted working. Just the thing costed me $250 (refurbished by Bosch). I could have gone to a junk yard and got one for $20 or something like that. Just saw at least 3 of them in my neighborhood junk yard last Saturday.

David Kao dkao@eng.sun.com 83 westy, 84 vanagon, 77 volvo 264, 80 volve coupe, 71 2002 bmw