Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:22:18 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Junkyards and Rialtas

My trusty 73 Camper has been telling me that it doesn't like the dual Weber carbs that I got for it, so I have been thinking about going back to the stock dual Solexes, which of course I don't have any more cause I traded them for the Webers (dumb, dumb DUMB!). So, yesterday I took a drive down to the junkyards in Chula-juana to look for replacements. I needed:

2 carbs 2 manifolds throttle linkage crossbar manifold crosspipe air cleaner housing and mounts air intake preheater valve misc. hoses, elbows, solenoids, hardware

I wasn't expecting to find much since by late Sunday the yards are usually picked over fairly well, but lo and behold I got lucky! Found a 74 bus with the engine virtually untouched! Snagged _all_ of the above and took it to the checkout, and found out that they wanted $42 for both carbs, $7.50 for the crossbar, $5.50 for the crosspipe, $11.00 for the air cleaner housing, and $5 for the preheater thingie. Those were not too bad, but then the killer: $29.50 *each* for the friggin manifolds! Jeez what a ripoff! I know why they wanted so much - because they charge one price for any intake manifold, and most of them are huge hulking V-8 things. The fact that I need two for a single engine matters not to them, they wanted $30 for each one. So I hid them (in case I get desparate later) and bought the rest of the stuff. I guess what I need to ask the list is: Does anyone have a pair of the stock 73-74 intake manifolds lying around?? And would they sell them to poor little 'ole me so my camper will be nice and happy for the Red Rock trip? :)

On the way back from the junkyard, I passed an RV dealer which specializes in the 58-foot class AAA.2 motorhomes with the popout living rooms with sofas and hardwood floors and washer/dryers and home gyms and jaccuzzis and... well nevermind. The smallest RV I have ever seen on their lot was a Toyota-based Minimotorhome which was still huge, until today! They had what looked like one of those large van conversions (a-la Trans-Van) except that the front of it looked funny. Hey wait, It's a Rialta! Jeez this thing is big. Much bigger than the $38K Winnebago conversion I saw at the VW dealer. Looks like a Eurovan with it's head peeking out of the front of a locomotive. I would have stopped and looked at it, but I was very, VERY grimy at the time and I was driving DaBoat (that in itself was enough reason for them to ignore me) so I decided not to stop. I'll check it out later.

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================