Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 1995 13:49:51 CDT
From:         wanek@whscdp.whs.edu
Subject:      Re: Sportsmobile

As usual, Unca Joel's information is dead accurate. I sent for, and got a quick response, on the Sportsmobile literature packet from their Huntington, IN address.

Alas, they stopped doing VW conversions when the Vanagon came out.

I had a '72 VW Sportsmobile - but it was based on a 7-passenger sunroof, so I didn't have the pop-top installed. Quality of materials and variety of floorplans was excellent - they were big on dual-use campers, and lots of the interior components could be unbuckled and removed when more room for haulage was needed (even the refrigerator!).

They weren't so hot on some of the internals, though - the dual-battery setup for the new (in '72) alternator was a disaster - NEVER could keep the batteries in a similar state of charge, and one or the other was always overflowing acid. :(

The new literature kits are fun - you get templates of the floor plans and individual pieces, and can pick from one of many "standard" plans, or design your own from scratch.

One interesting option: they say they have exclusive rights to a unique air-conditioning system (I don't have the packet here at work, but I think the name is "Star-Kool"). It's an add-on package to the conventional auto air - while driving, it adds extra cooling to the passenger area, and, get this, when parked, it runs off of 110V!

I'd like to know if anyone on the list has tried out this system, or has seen any reviews of it. It sounds too good to be true.

Also, if anyone here has one of the old Sportsmobile pop-top units, how has the top held up over the years in terms of leaks and rattles?

Glenn Wanek

wanek@whscdp.whs.edu '82 Westfalia air-cooled ex-'72 Sunroof Sportsmobile ex-'73 Dodge Maxi-Van TEC PopTop Maxi-Rattletrap