Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 95 12:06:08 PST
From:         Al Knoll <alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com>
Subject:      Head Gasket Woes

> > It was said... > > > >I have a 1984 VW Vanagon that needs some work... > > Yes, The heads will probably need to be replaced... > I too have an 84' that is leaking coolant and oil and will need to replace > the head gaskets (and if the heads are pitted the heads as well) Total price > for mine > is $890 for the head gaskets and if the heads need replacing then add about > $800 more. >

So here's some recent poop from my foray into the leaky cylinder coolant gasket. I had the heads replaced and discovered some price differentials that might be of interest.

Head= VWPN 025.101.065.C if ordered from AJ at Lasher VW in Sacramento $403 ea INCLUDING THE GASKETS.( VWPN 025.198.012 B)

Elsewhere the quote was much higher ~520 plus 310 for the gasket set.

The savings was on the order of $550.

Note this was parts only for a 1989 2.1L

Your local dealer should be aware of the price else call AJ at (916)441.2761 and get the scoop.

Now for the techie side. Since days of yore, the head to cylinder seals have been a little metal compression ring that fits into the combustion chamber. This seals the combustion chamber. The rubber coolant seal isolates the coolant passages from the combustion chamber area. When the acids in the coolant etch away some of the aluminum these rubber seals no longer seal and coolant can leak past. VWOA recommended a retorquing of the heads to forestall the event. It works for some. Personally, this problem is a design flaw and should be 100% covered but of course it isn't. I suspect that if we raised enough sand with VWOA that there would be some recourse and on occasion VWOA has covered some of the expense for the low mileage vehicles so there is a precedent. My work including the @$#%&! Viscous Coupler came in around $4000 (Heads, Clutch, VC, etc) Yours should be a bit less expensive as work on the syncro is more involved.

The best IMNSHO syncro fellow around is George Ritchey @ German Motors in Tahoe City, Calif. Very knowledgeable re syncros, factory authorized Audi,VW, Porsche shop. In business for 20 years +. His telephone is 916.583.6220.

In my case the head surfaces hadn't been etched badly but with 102K on the westie and a dollop of insurance backing I replaced 'em anyway. I of course still have the old heads and they're in excellent shape but NFS. I also have a $1730 doorstop in the form of a dead Viscous Coupling. -- -- ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / _____/ / / 916.785.5317 (Telnet 785-5317) / / / / email: alf@hpptc44.rose.hp.com / __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/