Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Feb 1995 20:29:42 -0800 (PST)
From:         dworkin <dworkin@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: WESTFALIA ADVICE NEEDED!

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, Tim Smith wrote:

> [...]

I agree (so much for the junk post). Rust has always been my first priority. On a scale of 1-10, engines are a 4 at best (aircooled engines are cheap). My advice is to get a subscription to a south California newspaper ({flame suit on} the LA news papaer will provide something resembling real news as a bonus {flame suit off}), and look for:

A pre-67 for lowest loss of value over time. If you buy it in good condition and take good care of it, you have an investment that will increase in value over the years. (Joel, sent this guy the quiz about ice in your shorts, though)

A 71 as a good compromise between parts availability (last bug engine) and best handling (for the age).

A 78-80 (breadloaf) for good reliability, low price and decent parts availability (no heat, but with a gas heater, .....)

An 81-83 (aircooled vanagon) great body, great engine, still no heat.

An 84-90 (wasserboxer) same body, more HP, more $$, (do you live on a 4:1 hill?), first real heat.

A 91-94 great body, great heat, an active warranty!, $$$$$$$......

The only real answer to the question "Which VW is the right one for me?" is that the right VW for you is the one you fall in love with. All VW's need TLC. They will reward your love with reliability, but punish inattention. Every year has plusses and minuses. As you go back in time, the older busses will require more care, but you get a more "collectible" bus and there is an indefinable "romance" to them that I find irresistible. The wasserboxers have real heat and great space, and the Eurovans are new, and fine looking, not to mention under warranty (no arguing with dealers).

My last word is the the eternal "YMMV". Take a vacation in SoCal for a week, attend a VW event, look around, fall in love with one, buy it, drive it home. If you don't fall in love, don't buy.

H Steven Dolan dworkin@netcom.com

PS. Golly, I love climbing on my soap box, sorry for boring everyone.