Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Dec 94 0:08:09 EST
From:         "Russell G. Dushin" <dushinrg@pr.cyanamid.com>
Subject:      Waxoyl ingredients

Ok Morgan,

Here it is. Finnigan's Waxoyl, The Original Rustproofing (or so it's claimed). Gosh I love the smell of this stuff.

and the ingredients are......uh, not......they're naaa...not, nope not here. Gheeze, how do they get away with it?? Is there no patent protection? Too much patent protection?? Hmmm.

The package claims "it's a thick, waxy fluid saturated with a very powerful rustkiller"...that supposedly contains..."rust-inhibiting molecules that cut through films of oil, grease, and dirt in seconds and cling to metal surfaces"....which... "unlike chemical inhibitors used in ordinary rustproofers, stay active indefinately." Also claims it has the ability to creep and that it is effective against multi-metal corrosion.

It's thick and waxy all right. Doesn't spray worth a damn until you heat it up (in hot water-it IS flammable) or dilute it. Looks yellowish with pale wax in it when "gelled" at room temperature (my kinda room temps, anyway), and when heated it just looks yeller-like a dilute citronella candle (or don't you folks have bugs, neither?).

hmmm. Wonder what this rustkiller is. If "unlike a chemical inhibitor", then what is it? Wax?? Yet another corn syrup product?? Not from mumslnd. Maybe they mean unlike *most* or *all other* rust inhibitors, maybe it's just more stable and less prone towards decomposition from air oxidation, uv light, bad gas (oooPH), and good ol' electrolyte ridden water. It's a concept-could be...I gotta look it up.

This creep stuff....could be wax, I suppose. Wax wouldn't be in the name if it wasn't there. Multi-metal corrosion stopper? Maybe only 'cause it's effective against *all* corrosion on account of the fact that it seals out water so well, and not because the rustkiller or some other ingredient is especially effective against galvanic conduction. Hell, maybe wax has everything to do with it. Maybe wax seals in and protects the rust inhibitors-any ol' rust inhibitors-from the nasties of nature and does all the work. I know, I'll taste it. Gotta be able to taste wax.....There's ah, nope...no warnings on the label...says it's just like sprayin' roses...I put it in my hair, knowingly....ok.....

Oh, man, yuck. How am I ever gonna get this taste outa my mouth? Where's the Scotch?

Just can't trust these outa-merica labels. Don't you folks got no manners? There isn't a warning on this package that tells me not to feed this to my dog, cat, horse, or my kids (if I have any, I dunno), or not to eat it myself. Like pushin' pills on a baby. It *does* tell me not to put it in my eyes, and to keep it out of the reach of children, but I drink stuff like that. How do you folks get away with this??? Don't got no legislaaation? Too much??

(can you understand now why most americans are required to wear seatbelts? it's a wonder they let us drive at all.)

I do know that the stuff is impressive. I sprayed two entire cans, non-diluted, on Nigel's underbelly (goochy, goochy, goo) and framerails for the first time about a month ago. Sixty bucks worth. Overkill. It could have been diluted and would have sprayed much easier if it had. Prior to that I used a 90wt/kerosene mix.....made quite the mess, and it didn't last forever (tell that to the DEC). It was cheap, but it dripped off and only areas within reach of my various self-lubrication devices (standard features on series models) remained well coated. This waxoyl is on like glue, everywhere, with nothing under it, and it ain't goin' nowhere. As time goes on and the remaining solvent in it evaporates, it seems to slowly spread, and not spread thin but kinda thicken. Hunkerin' down for winter. My axle housings and springs, previously rusting on the surface, have a lasting glow I could only have gotten-but never kept-with a fresh paint job. Everything underneath finally looks as it is-fresh and lubed and well maintained. I'm so happy. Nigel is so psyched he popped himself right outa gear the other day, backed his butt on down a slope and into a phone poll, just to match the dent the NYC cabbie put into the other side. Spunky boy.

A 2.5L "tin" (another one for the glossery-it's a can, dammit) of Waxoyl can be bought with the pump, wand, and extension tip, which is just a hose with a fitting for the wand with a nail in one end (but very good for frame rails) for just under $50 US. That's around what I paid at Moss Motors. Replacement 2.5L tins go for about $25-30. Kinda expensive, but worth every dime. Also don't forget, you can use it in your hair, but it makes lousy toothpaste.

cheers all, rd/nigel

ps Not I nor anybody who pretends to be me neither supports nor dispells nothin'. That should cover it.