Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 95 9:21:58 MST
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Re: [A] 73 1700 push rod tube question ...

> > Hey all. I am in the process of putting our 73 Westy's engine back together, > and am having some trouble with the pushrod tubes. The engine in the 1700 > type IV. > After replacing the seals on both ends of the tubes, I passed them through > the rocker box, and into the holes in the engine block. The problem is, > even with the head torqued down properly, they are not really tight into the > engine. I can pop them out without too much effort. I'm wondering what > actually holds them in ... the long bent wire that goes in with the rocker > arms seems to press up against them inside the rocker box, but is this it? > It also seems that you could remove these tubes with the engine in the bus > by just removing the rocker arms, and pulling the tubes out, is this true? > Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm just worried that the tubes are > going to pop out of place with the engine running (or leak!). > > -Dan

The tubes are not supposed to be tight when you put them in. After a few heat up and cool down cycles oil tends to swell them a little and the rubber adheres to the aluminum on the case. Yes the wire thing will hold them in, however once you've got it all together make sure that the wire bales are butting up on the ENDS of the tube sheet metal and are not stuch inside the tube with the pushrod. Just reach in with some needle nose pliers and snap them out into position. Yes you can get the tubes out with the engine in the car but it is not all that advisible since 1) Crude on the case gets into the lifter holes on the case no matter what you do (I use rubber of cork stoppers in these holes to keep the lifter from falling out and excluding dirt while I have it up on the engine stand.). This is really un-good if you have an after market hydralic lifter kit like me. 2) You have to wear eye protection since you are under the car looking up as you dislodge all sorts of crude and 3) I am getting too old to lay on a concrete floor for the time required to get the job done.

Oh yes, you can use a brake cleaner aerosol spray to get most of the crude off BUT do not buy the stuff that is full of toluene, acetone, or hydrocarbons. If I wanted to make a flamethrower this is what I would use to fuel it. Nothing ruins your day more than setting your face on fire. Buy the stuff that is loaded with perchloroethyene of methylene chloride. This doesn't tend to burn.

Andy Burczyk

aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca