Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:17:58 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system drivel (long, sorry)

> Diagnosis of Water Pump: > > I have no signs that the water pump needs replacement. The system IS > cooling, just not at peak efficiency. If the water pump is > out/flakey, then I'd think I'd have SIGNIFICANT cooling > problems. > > Diagnosis: I don't really need a water pump at this time, > although it might be a good precautionary move. >

My experience with the waterpump (had two go on me) was one of two things;

1. The first waterpump died when the van was 6 weeks old. It was leaking coolant out of the breather hole on the face of the pump. It was dribbling on the garage floor. After much neck wrenching, and tracing, I found the leak. It wasn't leaking badly, the coolant level wasn't even dropping, but there would be a drop the size of a quarter daily. Apparently, there is some diaphragm internally that failed.

2. The second waterpump died last September after 110,000 km, and 4.5 years. The bearings went, big time. Coolant was all over the tailgate, engine, etc. It made a hell of a racket, and it went fast. The time it took from when I heard a bearing noise, and when the pump failed was less than 1,000 km.

On both occassions, the van never overheated, and coolant level was never affected..... caught both problems in time.

Since the parts are soooooo expensive, it pays to be cautious. There are tons of little hoses, and connectors in the Vanagon. Around the engine bay there is also a clear plastic tube that is known to crack. There are also numerous plastic pipes in and around the engine bay. Check all these points carefully.

The rear heater is also prone to leaking in some model years. My friend's '88 had this happen to him. He had to change the heater core. Are you smelling coolant inside the van?

Check around the heads as well. The Vanagon archives are an excellent source of information about these vans, and there's lots of info on this subject there in lots of detail... ie. can't remember it all!

Hope this helps. Harry. ------------------------------------------------------ Harry Yates Internet: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia '87 Golf Diesel