Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 1995 20:46:58 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      early wheel hubcap clips

I am going thru a frustrating experience with those stupid little clips for the hubcaps on the early wheels!

I got the old rivets out just fine - I use a hammer and chisel and the come right off.

The problem is the NEW clips. I am using steel pop-rivets to hold them on, which is fine, but when I went to put the hubcap on, the clips BROKE! 1 wheel (the first one) was fine, but the clips on the other wheels are so brittle its not even funny.

I bought the clips at the LAPS (not FLAPS), and the clips are made by West Coast Metric, but they are CRAP! The first ones came in a baggie that was shrink wrapped to the carboard, and they were not painted - just bare metal. The others were just shrink wrapped, and not in a baggie, and were painted black.

I can't believe somebody sells something this bad. Anyone else have any input on this subject, or alternate sources for these clips?

I know one of you doesn't like the pop-rivets, but thats all I had to put them on with, and they went on nice and tight. And with the hubcap on, you don't see the rivets!

Thom -- > If seagulls fly over seas, what flies over bays? ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................