Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 1995 10:04:40 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      Re: instruments, interviews

Bill Abbott said: > I'm thinking head temp with two senders- one from #3 and one from >#2 (opposite corners) and either a selector switch or two gauges, >plus oil temp and pressure. Doesn't the head temp sender sandwich with t >he spark-plug washer?

I'm going for the same setup (although one piece is still missing) with a sender on each head and a selector switch. I put the second sender on #1, because I expect this to be the hotter one on the right hand side. The problem is that the additional wiring from the selector to the gauge increases total resistance and hence affects the reading on the gauge: it's a tad lower. That's fine with me, though, since I'm only interested in changes, not absolute readings.

> For oil temp, I guess I use the 'dipstick' sender- anyone >have experience with this? Does it really work? How does it work?

It looks like a dipstick, but has 2 wires attached to the top. My gauge's calibration is off by about 35F, but, again, this is not a scientific experiment; I just need to know when to slow down or stop.

> And, of course, a tachometer. I figure this can go in the >blanked hole the factory provided for a clock, and the rest can go >in one of those nice VDO rubber block mounts either below the dash >or maybe above the dash... view over the dash of a '70 isn't >going to be compromised by instruments above the center section...

I cut three holes between the ashtray and the radio, but you may not want to do such a radical thing. As for the tach, I got one, but I'm not sure it's useful because I play it by ear. Unless someone wants to borrow your baby and then you can say: "always shift so that you stay between 2000 and 3000 rpm, because this is a VW,..., fine German engineering,..., some idiots don't know how to drive,..., blah blah..."

> I drove my 914, a very ratty looking 914, to one successful >interview. In fact, I recall, I wore a tee shirt and yellow shorts to the >second interview. But that's silicon valley for you!

You wacky Californian, you! ;-)

Sami dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu