Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 1995 09:57:44 -0700 (MST)
From:         Dave Black <dblack@argus.lowell.edu>
Subject:      Re: instruments, interviews

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, William Abbott wrote:

> I'm thinking head temp with two senders- one from #3 and one from > #2 (opposite corners) and either a selector switch or two gauges, > plus oil temp and pressure. Doesn't the head temp sender sandwich with t > he spark-plug washer?

Yep--but it's nearly impossible to thread the spark plug into the head with all the sheet metal in the way. I ended up cutting off the end of the sender, making a good junction between the two thermocouple wires, and epoxying it to the head. I feel a better way to attach these is to drill and tap a #8 or so hole near where you want to monitor temperature, crimp on an appropriate lug on the end of the thermocouple wire, and attach it that way (you won't have to fiddle with the thing when you pull the spark plugs).

> > Of course I'll use a dual sender pressure so the oil pressure idiot > light works.

Likewise with mine.

> > For oil temp, I guess I use the 'dipstick' sender- anyone > have experience with this? Does it really work? How does it work?

My sender takes the place of the plug for the forward oil pressure relief valve. Nearly as easy to do as the dipstick sender, and much neater.

> > And, of course, a tachometer. I figure this can go in the > blanked hole the factory provided for a clock, and the rest can go > in one of those nice VDO rubber block mounts either below the dash > or maybe above the dash... view over the dash of a '70 isn't > going to be compromised by instruments above the center section...

I don't have a tach, but there have been times when I wish I had. Not very often, though. I have the three position rubber block mounted under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. It's a pretty good location, except that when the steering wheel is in the nominal center postion, the center rib perfectly covers the gages. I either have to move my head around to see it, or look at it only while I'm turning! Actually, it's only a minor inconvenience. The rubber block is the only way to go if it's mounted down there. I'm constantly banging into it with my knee while climbing around, or smacking it with my knuckles while shifting.

> > Other possibilities include volts and amps. Wacky possibilities > include transmission oil temp, exhaust gas temp, manifold vaccuum, > a VDO clock... and an altimiter! :-)

How 'bout an inclinometer? And, oh yes, I wish I could figure out a way to monitor tire pressures while driving (slip rings and brushes?) :-)

> > Anyone have suggestions/experiences/instruments you wished > you'd had or once saw? My engine is a single-port 1600, stock carb.

I have oil temp, pressure, and ammeter. I will soon be reattaching my head temp gage. Other than that, I've never really needed anything else (except maybe the clock).

Good luck!

Dave '71 Westfalia & SB