Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 95 9:49:29 MST
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Re: 73 Westy into California...how hard?

> > Thanks for the info everyone > > The vehicle in question is a 73 Westy with a currently non functionning > air pump and blocked off EGR. > > I am wondering if this is old enough that it predates differences between > California legislation and 49 state/Canadian legislation. > > I am in the same pickle (but worse). When I got my '73 bus all of the smog and carbs had been removed. It was running with an intake manifold made out of blackiron pipe (threaded plumbing elbows and joints)(I still have it) and an old

crysler carb in the middle. Since then I've gone to an after market Weber progressive carb kit and have gotten 2 parts vans plus other stuff I've picked up along the way. I now have 2 somewhat complete '73 carb setups off of orginals and 2 inoperative L Jetronic FI systems (Used on the 75 and 79 buses). FI parts are mostly worn out. I am trying to get the carbs working on this van since I suspect that we in Canada may have a smog complience law based on the California model in the future. Unfortunately it was common practice up here to render inoperative the EGR systems (This usually involved the removal and/or destruction of parts) and air pumps (On mine it looks like the air pump drive sheared off and someone just removed the pump and plumbing, I haven't a clue what it looked like originally). I don't know it I can get replacement EGR parts in any case and I don't even want to think about an air pump. This is coupled with the fact that the general concensus that the carb setup use on 72 to 75 buses sucked beyond all hope of redemption.

Any suggestions?

I also have a fall back plan. I think that I can adapt a K-Jetronic FI system (Rabbit, scirroco, jetta. audi, etc.) to the L- Jetronic manifold hardware. If the smog laws in Canada change then I hope that there is an arbitration process for modified engines as I've heard they have in California. The idea is to pass the emission levels for the year of manufacture with a modified engine. I read about this in a FI book that admitted dealt with FI hot rod systems for high performance muscle car type engines. Does anyone have info on this arbitration process in the California smog laws or have a contact address of someone to talk to about it on the government side?

Oh yes, does anyone know if the smog cops or real cops bag tourists to California (or other states) that are driving around in non-smog complient vehicles? I'd like to visit sometime with the family.

Bye for now

Andy Burczyk