Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 95 19:00:25 -0500
From:         davidm@marcam.com (David MacMahon)
Subject:      FOR SALE: '76 Camper

A few days ago I started a thread on rec.autos.vw with this opening paragraph...

In <3hobgt$94r@netmon.marcam.com>, davidm@marcam.com (David MacMahon) writes: >I will be moving from the Boston Massachusetts area to the Bay Area of >California soon. I would like to have my '76 Camper Van shipped >across the country on a truck. I am hoping that some of the people in >this group can offer some advice.

Well, I am grateful to all who replied. I certainly did get some advice. Aside from learning about California emissions and other CA DMV regulations, I received the following advice...

In <3hqmud$hb5@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, hkrinkle@aol.com (H KRINKLE) writes: >save yourself the shipping costs and the $300 dmv penalty >(not to mention the humiliation of garage mechanics refusing to work on >your rusted out east coast car) sell it before you leave

In <D40LyI.928@rci.ripco.com>, johnson@ripco.com (MKJohnson) writes: >Ditto and amen.....

In <3hu8r3$ivb@ramp.metro.or.gov>, boleng@metro.or.gov (Glen Bolen) writes: >David, unless you are really attached to the bus, I would sell it.

In light of the overwhelming "sell it" response, I am (reluctantly) going to sell it! Here are the details...

*** The bus is in Famingham, MA (Boston area).

*** It is a 1976 VW Camper Van with a gas stove, sink, and refrigerator.

*** It is NOT a "rusted out east coast car" (although by west coast standards any east coast car is probably considered "rusted out"). It does have some rust, but for a New England car it is in amazingly good shape for a car half its age. This is probably due to the fact that I never drove it in the winter and the previous owner only drove it through two winters. I have owned it for the past four and a half years.

*** The interior is in excellent condition. There are no holes in the canvas and the beds (two double beds), carpeting, etc. is in like-new condition.

*** It has about 140,000 miles on it. The engine runs well and has alot of power (relatively speaking).

*** I have service records for the past 16 or 17 years (somewhere).

*** I haven't priced campers in New England for quite some time so I'm not sure how much to ask for it. Why don't you call me and arrange a time to see and drive it then you can make me an offer.

*** If you have any questions, please call.

*** My numbers are: (617) 965-6920 x2368 (work) (508) 877-4732 (home, before 10pm please)

Dave

P.S. Thanks to Joel Walker for putting me in touch with this mailing list!

David MacMahon Integration Engineer davidm@marcam.com