Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:11:24 -0800
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      instruments /f theme songs, LIVE AT LEEDS

Thanks for the positive report on dip-stick temp sensors, Forrest, Sami and others and the alternative sender location, Dave, David C and David S. Since there are a couple of Porsche swaps out here every year, the 914 adaptor for temp sensor on the galley pickup is possible- if that adaptor can be applied to a type II case!

You're right, Sami, the head sender selector will lower the temp. reading, but like you say, deltas are what one is looking for. If I feel really rich I may put in two gauges :-) Now THAT's ostentatious!

Dave Black's suggestion of crimping the thermocouple wires into a lug and screwing that lug to a suitable tapped hole in the head certainly has merit.

David Carnet's report of 275F FI head temp and 350F spark-plug ring temp tell me which gauge I'll need- it'll be the VDO 600 unless I can find a 450. (Catalog lists 300F and 600F- I wonder if I could find these in Celsius as well?) I suppose I could use the 300F gauge and put in a resistive divider, (or even a "F to C" converter!) but I'd like to have 'real' numbers if I could.

Steve Dolan's suggestion of trying all 4 cylenders and seeing which is hottest is a good one (since I have a dog-house cooler) and so I'll plan to move whatever I install around and monitor all 4. Results will be published.

Sami's holes between the radio and ashtray sound like a good way to go- I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it but I'll give it serious thought. I'm seriously considering ways to convert the ash-tray to a cup-holder, since its NEVER going to be used for ashes again... And, of course, a bloomenvasen somewhere or other.

I do find that 3,000 rpm is sort of a natural stopping point for my right foot. Its more like "Gauges, what fun!" As you may suspect, I've gotten to sit in the co-pilot seats of a Navy P-3C and a retired Air Force B-52D and I thought both instrument pannels were WAY COOL! Ian and I got pictures of each other sitting in the '52. Once in a lifetime!

If LIVE AT LEEDS doesn't ring any bells with you, send me a blank cassette and I'll put it and other suitable bus music on it and send it back. It would be a pleasure. Sadly, the LIVE AT LEEDS CD doesn't come with the replica recipts for smoke bombs. So I've got to keep my vinyl copy. Send blank cassette to Bill Abbott 4660 Westmont Avenue Campbell, CA 95008-5830 USA

On the way home last night, a whole bunch of further bus theme songs occured to me. "In Memory Of Elisabeth Reed" - Allman Brothers Band "I Must Have Done Somebody Wrong" - " " " "Little Martha" - " " " "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" - Pink Floyd "I Just Wanna Have Something To Do" - Ramones "Atomic Dog" - George Clinton "Something In The Way" - Nirvana (at least until the new engine is broken in!) The 3rd and 4th movements of "Symphony From The New World" - Dvorak "America" (interpolation of Dvorak & Bernstein) - The Nice "Lt Kije Suite" - Prokofiev "(Incidental Music from) Midsummer Night's Dream" - Mendelsohn "The Waters Of March" - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Wasserboxers & Diesels only) "Freeway Jam" - Jeff Beck And, of course, "Wild Thing" - Jimi Hendrix cover, where he says "...Shucks, I love you."

I won't post any more on this subject, I promise!

Bill