Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 1995 14:36:35 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      Re: historical plates

>Thom, > >Congrats on the Historical Plates! I too live here in CA, what gems of >wisdom are you willing to pass on to me in dealing with DMV? I have just >recently bought a beautiful '67 bug, in fact, I won't be picking it up >from the previous owner 'til the 2nd weekend of March. Is there anything >that I can or should do now to start the ball rolling, do I even qualify? >What are the advantages?

(I am posting this to the list in general because I think its some good info)

Harlan,

Well, first you have to determine your starting point. Is the bug registered already? If it is then its easy. If its not, don't despair!

Cars over 25 years old qualify for historical plates. You gotta pay $25 or so to get them, of course, but they are cheaper than personalized plates. Your are really only supposed to drive in car shows, parades and stuff withthem, but I've gotten away with as well as a lot of other people I know of.

If the blockheads at DMV don't know what you are talking about, keep your cool, and try getting in another line and asking again, or if you think they woin't be offended, ask them to look it up.

You also get a break on license fees, but I'm not sure how much.

I don't know how the smog law applies to HV's

You get plates that are white with red letters that say "historical vehicle on the left and have a 4 digit number. There are also plates available for press photographers, pearl harbor survivors, and a hosts of other niches.

Now, if the car is not registered, you can still make it so by getting bills of sale fromt he previous listed owners. DMV will give you a list with names and addresses. You send certified letters to each one, with a partially completed bill 'o sale and a not requesting them to fill it out. If the letter comes back unopened (meaning they moved) DON'T OPEN IT! Take it to DMV as proof that your expended reasonable effort. Same thing goes if you don't get anything back - take the certified reciept to prove you tried. If you get the bills of sale, bully for you!

Once you have all this stuff, make copies. Then take it to DMV, and they will get you registered from there. Please note that you will be liable for back fees on the car, so you might make that part of the deal if you are buying a car without title.

Registering a car as a historical vehicle will also cause a lot of back fees to get waived.

Thom -- > Not all men are fools. Some men are bachelors. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................