Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 95 10:58:34 PST
From:         wall@orangeu.mcm.com (Steve Wall)
Subject:      Re: Cooling system drivel (getting shorter...)

Thanks to all who responded to my questions and gave me feedback on my various (amateur..) dianosis of my cooling problems:

Dave Schwarze suggested that I replace the temp sensor on the thermo since it may be misreading somewhat and is a cheap part to replace. The part is $10.00 at VWOA, so I'll probably do this just to remove one variable.

Dan Houg mentioned that I may be concerned if my heat waits until the thermostat opens - my understanding of the cooling system (again, note my amateur status..) is that the coolant doesn't pass through the radiator (and thus the front heat exchangers?) until the thermostat hits 85 degrees C - up until this point, the coolant simply circulates in the engine core so that you don't remove the heat needed to warm the engine to proper operating temp. Once 85C is hit, the thermostat opens a valve which effectively starts passing coolant through the radiator, thus allowing heating to occur.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm probably mistaken here - the heat comes from the heat of the ENTIRE coolant supply, thus even though it's not CIRCULATING through the radiator (since the thermo valve is closed at the end of the radiator return hose), ALL the coolant in the system is heating up, so you would have heat in this case.

Perhaps I need to take fluid and/or thermal dynamics 101?

Dan also mentioned putting a regular thermometer in the expansion tank (careful of spitting coolant) - this sounds interesting. Anybody know the proper temp (or range) for the coolant?

Dan also mentioned replacing the thermo o-ring - this could explain the white residue on the thermo housing - sounds good.

Joachim Beek mentioned that his Scirocco lost a water pump, and up until then there weren't any cooling problems - I agree, I don't think my pump is bad since I appear to be getting proper circulation, etc.

Alistar Bell mentioned that the later model Vanagon (mine is an 89) might have plastic components that cannot be rodded out. Anybody have any ideas here?

Finally, if I do decide to buy parts, is there a difference between a parts shop that says a (for instance) radiator is "OEM" and sells for $275 versus a radiator from the dealer which sells for $415? Would I have "fit" problems with the non-dealer part in some cases?

>From what I now know, there is no difference between the OEM and dealer parts, although I am suspicious. Comments, anybody?

Continuing to run warm....

Steve

------------------------------------- Steve Wall (wall@mcm.com) Mellon Capital Management Corporation San Francisco, CA