Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 1995 09:13:17 -0500 (EST)
From:         Stefan Ufer <sufer@email.unc.edu>
Subject:      East coast gathering; me, Ko and the rain

Well, I showed up at the campground at about 6pm Friday night in soaking rain, circled the whole campsite loop, but nobody except the campground host and one other non VW party was there. Drove back to the gate to see if somebody was late and couldn't get in any more. The campground host had offered to unlock the gate in such case. When I met the park ranger she told me that two more VW's were there a few minutes ago and had left just before they closed the gate. I decided to stay set up camp and started working on all the food and different kinds of beverages I had brought with me. My four legged friend Ko (a 160pound great dane) also started to demand some food and wasn't to keen at all to get outside the bus. It even was to wet for a camp fire and a little lake was slowly developing around LILA. But nevertheless the mood was still up high since it's so nice laying dry inside listening to the rain hitting the roof with a full stomach of pasta diabolo and certain other liquids. So I finally faded away to the world of dreams and woke up the following morning. The weather didn't change a bit. The tarp I had attached to the rain gutters was broken down during the night because of all the water it had collected. I decided to drill holes into the rain gutters at the sliding door soon so that the tarp can be attached more easily without that gap between the roof and the tarp where for some reason the water likes to flow down. BTW this trip also prooved the performance of that rainX stuff. I had applied it on my windshield a few days ago and it's pretty impressive to see the water droplets running off the windshield like a water droplet on a hot plate. But I also agree that it can make you drive faster since you don't realize the rain that much any more. So I finally cleaned up the campsite and headed back home which is only about 20 miles away. I'm definitely in for another gathering in April at Umstead State park.

Stefan '76 Camper Bulli (LILA)