Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 1995 11:51:16 -0800 (PST)
From:         Eric Oster <ekoman@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re:Life in the Breakdown lane (was: R.I.P. 79(80) Bug Convertible)

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995, Thom Fitzpatrick wrote:

All I can do is offer my condolences, Ric, and repeat what everyone else has said: be thankful your wife wasn't in the car.

A couple of years ago, I was driving to my folks for Thanksgiving: then my driveline dropped out of my car. (It was about 50 feet from the clunk- clunk-clunk to the actual falling out of the car-A 1976 Dodge Charger, BTW. A real TANK.) I pulled a good distance off the road, (about 4 feet off the shoulder) and made my first mistake: I jacked the car up on a bumper jack, crawled under, and removed the driveline. Nothing was sheared, I could go get new u-joints and be merrily on my way. I went to the NSFLAPS, had to buy tools (I never leave home without them anymore.), came back, put the new u-joints in, and was ready to get back into my car, when WHAM!!! some drunken B#$%CH hit me going about 55-60. I was luckily(?) sitting in the passenger seat, (without a seat belt!), but was not thrown through the windshield, since my forehead had struck the very nice, large padded sunvisor. Anyway, she was in a saab (completely totalled.), and this guy in a volvo (probably totalled.) My car was also totalled. She had struck about the center of the rear wheel, and there was now about a 1 1/2 foot impression all along the side. (My poor Dodge was shaped like a "U"!) At least I wasn't driving my bus!! <g>

Eric Oster (ekoman@u.washington.edu)