Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 1995 00:04:20 -0500
From:         wolf@NetHeaven.com (Wolfram v.Kiparski)
Subject:      damage from missing bellhousing bolts

Thanks to all who replied.

Likely damage from not installing the upper bellhousing bolts are:

cracked case bearing damage (release bearing?) thrust plate damage flywheel damage bent input shaft (transaxle)

This is what I have found on my Bus:

slightly bent fork on release bearing throwout arm - caused two new release bearings to fail before problem was detected.

worn out clutch release bearing throwout arm bushings

damaged pressure (thrust) plate

I replaced all of the clutch components, bent the clutch fork back into shape, replaced the bushings, and installed the upper bellhousing bolts too, but the clutch system failed again after about 1000 miles. This is the third time in less than a year that the clutch has failed. I am almost at a loss as to what to do next. I plan on replacing the clutch release bearing throwout fork with a good used fork, and also replace the flimsy-looking stock release bearing clips with heavy duty ones from Rocky Mt. Motorworks.

I'll still be afraid to drive the Bus anywhere. I was a ways from home when the clutch went out in the Catskills, and I don't want to repeat the nerve-wracking, clutchless drive down from the Catskill Mountains to Albany. (yes, you don't really need a working clutch, but I find that it is more relaxing to have one)

When the engine was mated to the transaxle, it was flush with the transaxle.

How can I tell if the input shaft is very slightly bent? Wouldn't there be some difficulty shifting gears? Wouldn't there be vibration and noise? I haven't noted any of these symptoms. I strongly suspect that the lazy bonehead of a previous owner caused the damage to my Bus's clutch by not installing the upper bellhousing bolts that secure the engine to the transaxle.

Wolf