Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 95 10:53:56 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: 73 Westy into California...how hard?

> California model in the future. Unfortunately it was common practice up here to > render inoperative the EGR systems (This usually involved the removal and/or > destruction of parts) and air pumps (On mine it looks like the air pump drive > sheared off and someone just removed the pump and plumbing, I haven't a clue > what it looked like originally). I don't know it I can get replacement EGR > parts in any case and I don't even want to think about an air pump. This is > coupled with the fact that the general concensus that the carb setup use on > 72 to 75 buses sucked beyond all hope of redemption. > > Any suggestions? > I've passed smog check before with flying colors with the EGR plumbing blocked off, but physically in place. The tailpipe test doesn't look for oxides of Nitrogen, which is what EGR attenuates. The air pump can be disassembled and the vanes inside can be removed - since those are the parts that wear out, you may be able to get a seized one to at least turn and look like it's working. To pass the tailpipe test you need to get under 400 ppm Hydrocarbons. My '72 used to just squeak by, and it had no air pump. My '74, with the air pump functional, often scores under 100 ppm.

I have heard all the horror stories about the carbs used from '72-'74 ('72- '83 in Europe). Maybe I'm just lucky, but the two sets I've had have been no problem as long as mechanics who don't understand the central idling system are kept away from them. A "pathological screw turner" can really mess things up as I learned one time when I took my '72 to Firestone for a smog check. The carbs seem to be a bit more prone to icing and the central idling tube is heated only by the air going through it so it is important that the intake air pre-heating system on the air cleaner be functioning properly. The carbs themselves are about as simple as carbs can be.

If you ever feel inclined to throw out the parts you have accumulated, please send them to me instead - I will gladly pay you for your trouble and freight.

> > Oh yes, does anyone know if the smog cops or real cops bag tourists to > California (or other states) that are driving around in non-smog complient > vehicles? I'd like to visit sometime with the family. >

Never heard of it. The smog checks are associated with the title and registration process. If you were burning tons of oil you might get a ticket for excessive smoke or something like that. The only spot-checks I know of on the road are for drinking drivers.

> Bye for now > > Andy Burczyk > > > Likewise,

Dave Kautz