Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Feb 1995 11:08:16 -0800
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: TDC, AC

Matt Bushore asks how to id TDC on a 2.0. I had this same problem on my 914, where, for extra fun, you can't see the fan or the end of the crank.

The answer is, for all engines, the distributor! I would jack up all four corners of the 914 for general access, then put it in gear and jam the spare tire under one rear wheel, pop the cap off the distributor and turn the other rear wheel to turn the engine until the distributor rotor was pointing to the little notch in the distributor housing that marks #1 tdc.

The distributor is your best guide for TDC because the spark plug is only fired when both valves are closed, which is the position you want when setting the lash adjustment.

A. Burczyk's right, exact 0 degree location of the crank isn't important, since over 90 degrees of the crank throw on compression are with both valves closed.

Note that with a 4 stroke engine, the crank goes around twice for every one time each cylender gets to TDC (with both valves closed anyway). So you want to use the distributor as an indicator in any event. (That's why the cam is geared at 1:2 to the crank and the distributor is driven by the cam shaft.)

On a T2/Type IV, you can see the fan too, so you could mark the fan and shroud with a painted-on-line for TDC and 180 degrees out. Just like the notch in the pulley on a type I/II. You can also turn the engine over using the bolt that attaches the fan, BUT ONLY IN THE DIRECTION THAT TIGHTENS THE BOLT!!! (Clockwise). Just like using the fan pulley bolt on a Type I/II engine.

To figure out whether that turns the engine in the forward or backwards direction, follow the wires from the cap to the cylenders and note the firing order which is given on the generator pedistal.

If you find one valve very tight, (eg 1/4 turn of adjuster doesn't allow feeler to slip in) then suspect you're not REALLY looking at a cylender at TDC! Measure twice, cut once and all that.

David Kao, I'm pretty sure you can't adjust #1 and #4 at the same crank position, since one is will have BOTH valves open (overlap) and one will have both valves closed (TDC- correct place to adjust).

Someone wanted an anointee of St. Muir. The man hizzelf would certainly have disagreed. Gather the facts, sit down, take your time and work it out. Anyone can be a disciple if they are honest and willing to accept being wrong once in a while.

I like Derek Drew's strategy for fixing his AC - I hope it works, Derek. But I've also got to endorse Joel's advice- my friend and Society of Automotive Engineers member Kevin says you should run AC once a week to keep the seals, etc. lubricated. I *try* to remember with the Corrado. Kevin seems serious about this so I believe him.

Bill Abbott

VWs: 70 Single Cab Pickup, 93 Corrado Cats: Moustache and Georgi Zhukov Best Fish Recipe: Pan Blackened Catfish Favorite Flannel Pattern: McNab (natch!)

/\_/\ //o o\\ <<==Y==>> "growing whiskers and a tail!" mm,\C/,mm