Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 1995 18:40:38 -0500 (EST)
From:         sstones <sstones@io.org>
Subject:      F$%*ing Water cooled @$@%^#%

Alright, Who's the genius who decided that after 83 these things need to be watercooled? They're such great engines except for their cooling systems.

To get to the point... It was cold here (Toronto) on Saturday night. I guess I haven't checked the coolant recently enough, because somtime in that night, which happenned to drop to -22 C (-10 F ?) the little plastic thingy (I guess it's somthing to do with the heater) near the front (FIF) at the top of the engine froze up and cracked. Tow truck drivers are vultures. $50 from the point on the highway where the bit gave up and disentegrated shrouding the rear end in a billowing cloud of glycol laced vapor, to the bloody VW dealership who want $100 for a new little plastic bit and the little small diameter hose that lives on it. (they can't give me 7" of that fucking hose for free, that's $22 of the $100. Vultures, just because it's too cold for me to put these parts in on my own outside.) Air cooled flat fours didn't have cooling problems... Oh well, At least I'm warm when I'm in the van.

Cheers

<sstones@io.org> SStones Toronto, Ontario.