Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 1995 13:45:44 -0800
From:         rathkem@admin.ci.seattle.wa.us
Subject:      Batteries (I was delusional)

I'm going to try and pull myself out of this one.... I plead lack of caffiene. :0

<---- Begin Included Message ----> >Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 12:14:32 CST >From: David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil> >To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> >Subject: Re: Westy auxiliary battery (why not keep it going)

>This is not ideal because most of the time, the output of one half of the >alternator will be wasted charging the almost-full starter battery. Also, >what is the fascination with three golf cart batteries? :) You are the >second person that has mentioned this. The golf cart batteries I have seen >are all 6 volts, and therefore the third one would be essentially useless.

I got the three battery setup from some presentation I went to... I don't clearly remember the setup for three batteries, but your right it doesn't sound right. We do have one truck with 4 golf cart batteries wired in series-parallel, it will run a refrigerator for 17 days. :)

>Deep cycle batteries are not designed to be drained completely. I think >the manual for mine said to avoid discharging more than about 75 percent, >and preferrably 50 percent. Anything more will greatly accelerate the >death of the battery. The golf cart batteries are designed for heavy >current draw over an extended period, similar to a marine/rv battery. >Golf cart batteries _are_ deep cycle batteries, just like the marine/rv >batteries, except that they have even thicker plates (so I'm told) which >accounts for their extreme mass and longevity when compared to other types >of batteries.

Again you are right, about the batteries. The golf cart battery is a very deep cycle battery. I understand that periodic draining of a deep cycle battery is a good thing because it maintains the "memory" of the battery. As I understand it, during the charge/discharge cycle of the battery an oxide develops on the plates, and without a complete discharge ocassionally the battery will not store as much of a charge as long.

>> ** As an aside: in putting together my latest fire truck project I used a 120 >> amp dual output alternator one side connected to the truck battery, and the >> other side connected to (2) 8d auxillary batteries. The truck batteries are >> continually topped off with a shore power connection. I used the deep cycle >> because those emergency lights suck the power like nothing else.

>Is that 120 amps per side, or 60/60? In any case, it sounds expensive. :)

Again I plead chemical imbalance, the alternator is a 200 amp, with two windings providing 100/100 per side. $ 800.00

Thanks for the corrections. I'm glad you staightend me out.

Matt Rathke, A little confused. rathkem@admin.ci.seattle.wa.us -David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================

<---- End Included Message ---->