Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 95 11:21:09 PST
From:         wall@orangeu.mcm.com (Steve Wall)
Subject:      Cooling system drivel (long, sorry)

Cassie ('89 Westy GL, 101k miles, head gaskets replaced at 81k miles) has a cooling problem whereby she runs a bit hot (according to the temp sensor, which, I assume is accurate...). Blue Goo coolant has to be added once a week (just a top off, no huge leaks).

I've been told by VW dealer #1 that I need:

Thermostat Water pump Radiator

$930.00

and by VW dealer #2 that I need:

Radiator

$530.00

In order to educate myself about my new pal Cassie, I've invested in the Bentley book, and it was useful in understanding the cooling system. The questions now are, am I smart enough to 1) diagnose the problem in more detail and/or 2) do some/all of the work myself?

Diagnosis of Water Pump:

I have no signs that the water pump needs replacement. The system IS cooling, just not at peak efficiency. If the water pump is out/flakey, then I'd think I'd have SIGNIFICANT cooling problems.

Diagnosis: I don't really need a water pump at this time, although it might be a good precautionary move.

Diagnosis of Thermostat:

The thermostat seems to be operating ok - opens at 85 degrees C, no heat in the heating system until it opens, etc. There IS a white residue around the thermostat housing, but no obvious leaks.

Diagnosis: I don't really need a thermostat at this time.

Diagnosis of Radiator:

Since all other parts of the system seem to be operating well, it'd seem that the radiator is having trouble cooling well. It could be corroded (non-VW Blue Goo used by prior owner?), leaking (no visible signs, however...), or something.

When Cassie is in motion, the radiator fan never comes on (it does when running hard and then we sit at idle [makes sense]), so the radiator is doing some cooling, just not sufficient to keep the temp sensor at or below midpoint. The fan sensor seems to switch on at the right time, etc.

Diagnosis: Radiator should be replaced, probably is corroded inside which keeps it from allowing enough coolant flow to pass through, raising the overall temp of the coolant in the entire system. Could also have a leak which is where coolant is leaking, thus the need to top off weekly (wouldn't this introduce air into the system?). Could rod out the existing radiator as David Garth did on his '86 if it was corroded but not leaking.

So, if it's the radiator, can I replace it myself?

VW sells a radiator fo $420. Other parts stores sell OEM for $275. I'd probably buy the OEM - is this safe?

The drop, install, refill coolant appears to be pretty straightforward according to Bentley - anybody ever done this - if so, any warnings?

Thanks for the feedback - sorry this is so long, but when you're just learning about this stuff, you tend to go on like this....

Steve

------------------------------------- Steve Wall (wall@mcm.com) Mellon Capital Management Corporation San Francisco, CA