Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Mar 95 9:31:13 MST
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Re: 1979 heater boxes

Same thing happened to me. I got a '79 parts bus and stripped the engine, FI, tranaxle plus other choice items and the pawned it off on a guy who wanted the furniture in it (It was a Westy that had T boned a pickup). I got the engine somewhat stripped and found that a) it used the vanagon aircooled heads (very different exhaust mainifold flange from the type 4 heads that I had been running with up to then) and b) a very worn out cam. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Compression was good though.

I have a spare '73 set of heater boxes (Not for sale so don't ask) that the '79 boxes closely resemble. The '79 boxes are rotten but the cores look good. The '73 boxes are marginal. I am going to try to strip the skins off the the '73 boxes and put them on the '79 cores. Failing that I may have to get creative. Up here in Canada heat is a must. Another fallback position is to weld the '79 exhaust flanges on to a heater bax set out of a '75 that I also have (also not for sale so don't ask). The '75 exhaust piping is somewhat weird so I would have to jig the whole thing too while welding and drag it to a shop.

Let us kow if you find a source for the heater box skins or replacemnet boxes for your '79.

Andy Burczyk

a.burczyk@dres.dnd.ca