Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:05:23 -0500
From:         wolf@NetHeaven.com (Wolfram v.Kiparski)
Subject:      Re: '56 kombi brake problem

> I noticed what I _thought_ could be the problem - the MC pushrod >was almost all the way out, ie preloaded. St. Muir could only tell me >what to do if the brakes needed to be tightened, not loosened, so I >loosened it up to where I though the preload was right, and put it back >together. Bled the brakes. Now I have almost no brakes! > > I now know that I hafta screw it back in, but I'm wondering exactly >how far. Until I get the right pedal feel and the brake light still works?

That's what I would do, by trial and error :-( until I got it right. But if I knew what the VW specification for how far out (or in) the pushrod should be screwed around with, I would start there, and proceed with the trial and error.

How about setting it to a point halfway between where you have it now, and where it was? Or - considering that you had slightly dragging brakes originally, and no brakes now, how about a setting very close to the original one, say, 3/4 of the way back to the original setting?

I wish I could be helping you mess around with it, but my two cents worth is all I can offer, hope the feedback helps.

Wolf