Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Mar 1995 09:38:01 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: driving my bus to and in B.C.

Hi Gilbert;

> Subject: driving my bus to and in B.C.

> I'm heading out west next fall and will be working in the Rockies over > the winter, probably at a ski resort. Any suggestions on winter > driving? eg. should I invest in chains? if so...any good suggestions?

The best bet for snow conditions is at least a good all season tire. You can get away quite easily with a set of Yokohama LT195/75 R 14 model Y370. These can go anywhere. I'm on my second set now, and they are unbeatable under any condition. They hold the van up really well. A tire like the Yoko will give you more all round service than the dedicated snow tires. They are aggressive, yet very quiet, and they stick to the road like glue in very spirited cornering.

> This may sound silly but...they *don't* use salt on the roads outside of > Ontario and Quebec do they? Salt = Rust...BAD!!! > Sorry to report, that YES, BC uses salt. LOTS of it! As soon as it's warm enough to melt (around -8 or so) they'll dump salt big time. I've lived all over BC, and I have yet to find an exception to that rule. I agree, it's BAD!. I always picture little saltmen eating away at my vehicles. Use mega wax, and maybe even get the vehicle rust treated and undercoated to minimize problems.

Where abouts will you be working? I live in Langley (50 km east of Vancouver), and quite often go to the Rockies.

Hope this helps. If you would like any other info, give me a shout.

Harry. ------------------------------------------------------ Harry Yates Internet: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia '87 Golf Diesel