Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 1995 10:34:01 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Brake System Vacuum Leak Fixed

Hi Everyone. A few days ago I asked for help for a vacuum leak in the power brake system for my '87 Golf Diesel. I received many replies, and wish to thank all of you for your valuable help, and time. I have kept all replies in a file for reference should I be able to help others locally.

I had the car fixed by my dealer yesterday. The problem was with the vacuum booster. The internal diaphragm was leaking, and causing the hissing upon pedal application. Nobody had a replacement part available, not even jobber parts. My dealer quoted me $499 for the part a few days ago, so all alternatives were looked at. I didn't feel comfortable with a used brake booster, so I opted for a new part which had to be brought in from Toronto by VW.

For interest sake, the original booster was made in Brazil, and the replacement part came from Germany. My dealer reduced the price of the part (we're regular customers with 3 VW's) from $499 to $397.90, and took 2.5 hours to do the work. The master cylinder had to be removed, and installed on the new booster, and brakes bled.

The outcome is VERY powerful brakes! Wow, what a difference this has made. When things deteriorate over time you adapt to the changes unknowingly, and when parts are changed you really notice the difference. The pedal feels great with positive feel.

Oh yes, the replacement part is actually made by Teves.

Thanks for your help,

Harry. ------------------------------------------------------ Harry Yates Internet: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia '87 Golf Diesel