Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 95 09:20:46 PST
From:         Gene Sady <gsady@mcd.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Replacement speakers for '87 Vanagon

VM writes: > Topic No. 30 > > Date: Thu, 2 Mar 95 10:47:16 PST > From: David.Kao@Eng.Sun.COM (David Kao) > To: vanagon@lenti > Subject: Re: Replacement speakers for '87 Vanagon > Message-ID: <9503021847.AA14776@knabe.eng.sun.com> > > >>From vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Wed Mar 1 19:54:37 1995 > >>Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > >>So David Kao says: > >>> What I did was I bought a pair of 6 1/2 inch subwoofers. I flush mounted > >>> them below the original Blaupunkt speakers and changed a little bit of the > >>> wiring. > >> > >>You lost me on this mounting bit David. Are you saying you mounted the > >>subwoofers (I have a hard time calling 6 1/2 inch speakers woofers) below > >>and perpendicular to the Blaupunkt's or what? > >> > >>Steven > >> > > Sorry I did not make it clear. I did not believe 6 1/2" could qualify > as (sub) woofer untill I tried them with my stereo in the house then I decided > to put them on my 84 vanagon. The subwoofers were on my yuk BMW 2002, not exactly > bought from a store but I paid to get the BMW... > > Below the Blaupunkt there is a space enough for flush mounting a 6 1/2 speaker. > Window glass does not go down that low so it won't get in the way of the glass. > You don't need to cut any sheet metal either. Does it sound more interesting > now? > > If you take the door panel off you will see the sheet metal opening there. The > opening is not round but you can mount a speaker with 4 screws neatly. > Actually, the sheet metal opening is not exactly big enough for 6 1/2 speaker. > Especially my subwoofer has a fairly big magnet, it did not fit in. I had to > mount the speaker 1/2 inch above the mounting surface by adding a 1/2" thick > plywood cut to fit the back of the frame (rim) of the speaker. I wrapped the > plywood rim with balck tape so it looks really nice. I cut a hole from the > door panel and reinstalled the panel back. Then I flush mounted the subwoofer > (sandwitched the plywood rim) to the door. The plastic pocket on driver's door > needs to be moved. It can be moved without leaving any scar. > > The subwoofer, mounted in such location, is about at my (and the passenger's) > foot tip on the door. It won't get in my foot's way but I did kick it > by accident from time to time. I got a dent on the speaker grille already. > SO look for a stronger grille for the speakers. > > The subwoofers I got have great bass indeed. The door provides enough room > (functions as the speaker box) and the bass gets ereally low. > Hope this helps. > > David Kao > dkao@eng.sun.com >

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try wiring in some other speakers that have a better bass response and mount them on the door as David suggests.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Gene Sady - gsady@mcd.intel.com

MCD Design Systems Support, Intel Folsom, m/s FM3-100, (916)356-6851