Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 1995 18:43:28 -0800
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      83 wasserboxer swap?

Shirley, Sorry to hear about the demise of your original wasserboxer engine. If you want a camper to to drive, I recomend going pure stock, because its simple, people can work on it, you can get it smogged, you can sell it easily, etc. If you want a hobby, and there's nothing wrong with cars as a hobby, then by all means look into swaps!

I bought my '70 single-cab without a motor and thought about various hot-rod options, finally settling on pure stock except for hydraulic valves and a breakerless ignition. 55 horsepower- one could give them individual names. But WAY simple.

I don't have any experience with them, but there's an outfit near Sacramento that specializes in Vanagon motors and advertizes in Dune Buggies and Hot VWs.

Note that for California smog, you have to have the NEWER of the car or engine smog controls- so if you put in a '93 Corrado motor, you have to have the 93 Corrado motor smog stuff, but if you put in a 70 bus 1600 single-port/single-carb engine you'll have to have the *'83* smog stuff the camper came with.

Having all the smog stuff means having the exhaust and inlet tracts as well as the sensors, warning lights, blah blah blah. I don't know how you could put anything other than another Vanagon/Bus motor into the space without changing the inlet and exhaust. DMV are COMPLETELY unhelpful about this- they won't even describe what *stock* is- they basicly play dumb and tell you to put in the same engine it came with. But you can call them and get a pamphlet. And if you're not in a smog-certificate-every-2-years county, you could always Just Do It, at least until it was time to sell the car :-)

Having said all that, my first choice for a swap would be an 8-valve VW GTI // motor 1800cc, hydraulic valves, 105 hp, fun, fun, fun! The Diesel Vanagon mounted the same block so there must be VW adaptor pieces to mount it. Intake and exhaust would have to be custom unless you find a supplier. I believe you can get a new engine, repeat NEW engine, of this kind for about $1800, to which you have to add the Fuel Injection, plumbing, intake/exhaust and mounts. You'd need a donor Golf/Jetta. When I thought I had time to do a swap, this is what I wanted to put in my 914 :-)

The most comon motor in the world is the Chevy 350 and you could probably buy one new for less than the GTI motor, but its going to weigh more, need custom adaptors, etc. But you'd be hard pressed to NOT get 150 hp out of it and they are both cheap to own and run forever. The Buick V6 is well spoken of and probably nearly as cheap and lighter/smaller.

Hope this helps.