Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu,  9 Feb 95 23:05:00 -0800
From:         dan.clay@ggcs.org (Dan Clay)
Subject:      Re: Buying cheap used van

Steve Mathers wrote:

S.&gt;I would like to buy a cheap used van (something like a combie) for &gt;travelling around Europe. I figure having a bed in the back, and a &gt;portable stove etc...will mean that I will save money in the long run.

You will definitely save money. In addition, you will *see* Europe and you will see it close to the ground <a name=3D"Hit1">-- </a>out where= the real Europe is.

S.&gt;I have been told that the place to go to buy old cars is England= because &gt;other countries have very strict road worthiness laws. Can anyone &gt;comment? Has anyone done this?

Yes, I've done it a number of times. We've driven all over Europe in a <strong>kombi</strong> van and we, along with many others, believe it is the only way to do Europe. You'll love it.

You can buy <strong>kombis</strong> in London, though I've never done it. There is an informal market, which used to be near Waterloo Bridge, where one can buy them. It gets rousted by the Bobbies every now and then so who knows where it is now. You won't have any trouble finding it, I'm sure. There are lots of Aussies buying and selling there. You should be able to find someone in Oz who can tell you more about it.

I do know that it is a seat of the pants operation -- no warranties, no reserving in advance, etc. You sort of need to know what you're doing. Having some knowledge of things automotive would be invaluable; if you know something about VWs, all the better. You'll only get one chance. The people you'll be buying from are folks who are coming off the vagabond circuit and leaving as soon as they sell the van, and you'll never see them again. OTOH, if they have airline tickets and a deadline, they have to unload that thing and you can usually cut a pretty handsome deal for yourself. One other thing about buying in London: I've heard that the Brits can be a bit difficult with registration and tax matters.

I've always bought my <strong>kombis</strong> in Holland and would recommend it to you. Here are two outfits you can check out and see if they appeal:

1) Campanje Tel. (31)30 - 44 70 70 P.O. Box 9332 Fax (31)30 - 42 09 81 3506 GH Utrecht Netherlands

2) Alias Smith and Willard Tel. (31)30 - 93 71 63 Krugerstraat 6 3531 AP Utrecht Netherlands

I have no financial or any other interest in either of these businesses. I have bought <strong>kombi</strong> vans from both of them and have come to know the proprietors personally. They both know what they are doing and have been doing it for a long time. They both do a lot of Aussie business, if it matters. You can order exactly what you want in advance and for the most part get it, depending on availability. They will put a custom <strong>kombi</strong> together for you if given sufficient notice. Utrecht is a very nice place to start your trip. Tax, registration and insurance are handled by the seller and it is an extremely simple process in Holland.

I would tell you that Campanje deals almost exclusively in 2Liter "Voyager" model VW vans. That translates to newer and therefore more expensive. Smith and Willard will get any kind of VW van you want and so offer a much broader price range. S&amp;W is however not as sophisticated an outfit as Campanje. Both are run by nice, plain folks. Both offer guaranteed buy back deals and both come to your aid if you have mechanical troubles (they therefore like to have their vehicles in such shape that that is not often necessary).

Drop them a line and they will send you a brochure explaining their businesses. Whatever you do -- do Europe by <strong>kombi</strong> van. It is the greatest. --- p SLMR 2.1a p

<hr>

</dl>

<pre>