Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Mar 95 17:31:13 PST
From:         Al Knoll <alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com>
Subject:      CDOs and RRSP vs DVNP Panamint Springs

First off in answer to some fine fellow on the list, I've got two Camp Dutch Oven's in the brick, yep under the seat. And from a post from long ago they get used every now and then. BUT the BPacker makes great quickbreads.

Now onto more interesting topics. As a confirmed "Strange" lurker, I've been surprised that no one has mentioned what they plan to DO wherever we go on the March excursion. I for one tire easily of just sitting there and watching the rocks erode. Usually, hiking, bicycling, skiing, birding, CDO cooking, poppy watching, hot pottin', f-stopping, or GF fixing the conveyance take up a big part of the day. Of course we could have the desert spring Bocce tournament as armadillo heaves are not permitted in State or National parks. Trout season opens for streams south of Lone Pine in the Eastern Sierras on 1MAR95 too. So what do y'all want to do after the crisco runs out and you're tired of eatin' green chili, posole, chipotle cornbread, sourdough flapjacks etc etc?

Red Rocks SP (in Califunia) is a bit different than Red Rocks Amphitheatre (Br.) just outside Colorado Springs, (Coloradio). From what I saw there's a bit of hiking, a 20minutes worth Visitor Center and potentially lots of flower watchers from LALA land. The facilities will be crowded and more than likely we will not have adjoining sites. The area is geologically diverse and quite reminiscent of Canyonlands NP in SE Utah although on a much smaller scale.

A similar distance from Sacramento ~375mi is Panamint Springs, a "desert resort" with a decent cafe/dining room, running water, Draft Beer, lots of birds, the cat named taz, the pig named charlotte, hot showers, a dandy view and easy distance to kelso dunes, scotty's castle, badwater, Furnace Creek ranch, Saline Valley Oasis, Wildrose canyon and other such desert wonders. Flower season should be WFO at the time and the opportunities to see the best in 20yrs might just abound. The drive down for me would be through the Owens valley, flanked by the mighty Eastern Sierra Escarpment and the White Mountains one hell of a better spent four hours than the I5 superslab. BTW we can circle the wagons in one spot about a 3 minute walk from the showers and the other amenities.

The drive for the southern contingent is somewhat longer to Panamint Springs than Red Rocks SP but not nearly the 375mi the otter folk will have to hoof.

Either place has the same opportunity for culinary extravaganzas, star watching, conversation and bocce tournaments. Either will provide a nice flat spot for your trusty conveyance. Both cost the same per site and the essential differences have been mentioned in all the collected verbiage above. The Eagles new CD sounds equally fine in either locale.

I'll cast the first dissenting vote. I'd like to traipse on over to Panamint Spgs, I've seen both recently. The travel options from Panamint Springs are better IMHO.

I just 1MAR95@1705 spoke with Judi Graham (619.764.2010) the Panamint Springs Manager and a group of 15 loaves, bricks, and so on with their trappings and camp followers would be welcome.

Recommended Reading is "Drylands" Philip Hyde, "Desert Solitaire" Ed Abbey, and "Desert Images" photography by David Muench, text by Ed Abbey.

For the Norcal folks it's a 2.5 day weekend with 14+ hours of driving. I do that sort of thing but not often so I'll be making it a 4dayer to burn off some of my 14 weeks of accrued time off. Like I said, for the options I'd pick Panamint Springs.

So let nrubin know your wishes.

-- -- ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / _____/ / / 916.785.5317 (Telnet 785-5317) / / / / email: alf@hpptc44.rose.hp.com / __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/