Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 1995 12:07:56 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Air Flow Meter and Idle/Mixture Adjustments

I've posted some questions about this before.

I have an '85 Vanagon with 135,000 miles on it. It runs really well but the idle and mixture adjustments are concerning me. It barely passed its emissions test this year and probably won't next year--I would prefer and would feel better about driving this car if it were cleaner. I have attempted to adjust idle (idle stabilizer disconnected) and the idle control screw has very little effect on the RPM. I have also attempted to lean the CO adjustment down--this adjustment seems to make no difference in the way the engine runs. In other words, I could adjust the screw to where it was at maximum lean and no effect on the engine's performance would be noted EXCEPT that now when I let off the accelerator the idle does not return to normal immediately -- 4-5 second delay -- Sometimes longer.

Anyway, I am assuming that the Air Flow Meter adjustments have little or no effect on this engine. Do I need a new Air Flow Meter (or perhaps rebuilt)? Will a new AFM make any difference in the amount of garbage I spew out the tail pipe?

By the way--I have about 15,000 miles on a rebuilt engine and it runs very strong and uses almost no oil between changes.

Donald Baxter