Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 23 Apr 1995 08:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:   "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: new trip proposal!

Not that I'm going to be able to make it, but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02...

Martha/David/others: if you don't have a copy already, I'd highly suggest getting Carl Franz's "The people's guide to RV camping in Mexico" (John Muir Publications, mine is 1989), the same gut you wrote "The people's guide to Mexico" another very useful book. Also, I found the AAA of Southern CA fold-out map of Baja California very useful, with good detail for bumping around in the back-country, provided you still have (and use) your compass, odometer, and caution.

Wouldn't summer/early fall be real hot?

If you want a longer trip, I can't say enough nice things about the beaches just N of Pichilingue (which is where the Ferry to the mainland leaves near La Paz). It's about 3 day's drive from San Diego (922km, 1483mi), but has FREE camping ON THE BEACH, and Mario and his wife Secora run a little restaurant out on the old greyhound bus they live in right on the beach. Mario rows out every morning to catch what he serves for that night's dinner. No services, but hey, you're right on a white sandy beach with turquoise/emerald water (Sorry Thom, no surf on the Gulf of California), and palapas provided to sit under/hang up wash from. La Paz is only 20 min drive away. Lots of other dirt roads leading to more secluded beaches, too! To get there: head N from La Paz towards the Pichiligue ferry terminal, pass by it, and follow signs to Playa Tecolote (just bear right at every paved intersection). Just 50m before the road ends at the beach, take the dirt road to the right. More secluded places are further to the N and E, and I'd bet you could even make it to Punta Coyote (another 3-4 km) with determination.

Guadalupe hot Springs sounds _real_ nice, and would be fun to get to (maybe David could put ANOTHER martha video on the web alla. Red Rock? =:O :-) ) Not that it really matters, I guess, but $20.00/night for 2 vehicles sounds pretty high for Mexico (but 'hot tub' isn't exactly a household word in Mexico...)

La Bufadora, as David mentioned, is kinda neat. We stayed at a real nice site with no facilities whatsoever, BUT A VIEW TO KILL FOR, for 3 pesos a night. Yep, that's under a US buck (depending on the exchange, could be <$0.50!) a night. Difficult (impossible?) access to the beach, and no door on the latrine, but the latrine does face out to the Pacific from the top of a cliff, and that's pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. Steep dirt road access to the site from the main road. We stayed at Campo #8, on yer right, a few km west of Punta Banda. Punta Banda is located about 7 km west of Maneadero on state hwy 23. The turn off wasn't that well marked, but it is the only paved road intersecting Mex 1 from the right near Maneadero. Maneadero is only about 10 - 12 km S of Ensenada, so this might be a good staging point for a multi-day trip. Lots of cool villages/beaches are accessible by dirt track/road starting another 125 or so km S of here, running from Colonet to El Rosario; along this stretch, the ocean is usually within a few kms of the main hwy, so it's perfect for exploring "off-pavement" until you find something just right.

Unless time is a real important factor, I'd suggest staying off the toll (Cuota) roads at take the "Libre" routes instead. The toll roads are smooth, fast, and have light traffic, but can't match to "real Mexico" feel, fun, and obstacle-course excitement of the Libre roads. The section through the hills just N of Ensenada is quite beautiful, and a nice intro to the country.

I'm sure it'll be fun wherever you go!

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)