Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 95 12:22:09 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Heads leak...wires melt?

On Wed, 26 Apr 95 12:06:27 CDT Steve Reilly said: >following: Two days (and maybe 50 miles) after having the heads >redone on my 84, the wiring harness did a complete meltdown! This is >now only an academic issue, as it happened about 3 years ago, its >long since been paid for, and I no longer own the van, but the >situation still nags me a bit. >VW independent garages. The consensus was, gee, it seems pretty >suspicious, they probably did something to cause the meltdown, but >it will be hard to prove, since the head work shouldn't involve >messing with the wiring, other than unplugging and replugging, and >the van did run correctly when they were done. >So, my question (at long last) to the collective expertise of this >fantastic list is, was it a coincidence, or did I get $crewed? If >the latter, what could those guys possibly have done when replacing >the heads to cause the meltdown?

i can tell you EXACTLY what caused it. and ALL of you vanagons need to check this any time you take the air filter box out.

cause i did it to myself on my 88 bus. :( $1200 for junkyard wiring harness, brain, etc. the whole rear fuel injection control system.

if the fuel injector power wires are NOT safety-tied out of the way, when the air filter box is placed back into the car, those power wires can be pinched between the plastic box and that little metal shelf that the box sits on (the shelf with the two little round holes).

after a few days of vibrating and such, the insulation is worn off the wires and they short the power relays (over on the left side of the engine) to the chassis. result? rather high amperage melting ALL the fuel injector wiring in the engine compartment.

not fun. and nobody in town would touch it. not even the dealer. so i had to have it towed 60 miles to a porsche mechanic who took pity on me. but even then, i had to round up the replacement parts at a junk yard. they came from a rollover 1987 Wolfsburg. so now i have an 85-87-88 bus. :)

seriously, ALL vanagons: when you put the air filter box back, either get some little cable ties and get those injector wires out of the way ... tie them (with some slack, so the engine can wiggle back and forth) under the shelf ... or make damn sure you didn't pinch them.

it's a careless mistake, but it happens. :( joel ol' sadder but wiser