Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Apr 1995 16:40:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Jon Christensen <vvwca@PrimeNet.Com>
Subject:      I'm Cured of the 009 Hesitation Blues!

Hi VW-Philes,

After much anguish trying to resolve my Bosch 009 and other types of 'Hesitation Blues', I have reached a cure. This pertains to 71 and newer carbed dual port motors.

For the last few engines I have had the problems were the same--severe hesitation at the low end acceleration after the bug has warmed up. The bugs had 009 distributors and 34-PICT Solexes. On the first bug I followed the tips in the Hot VW's hesitation blues article and had optimistic success, but it still had problems which I blamed on a warn throttle shaft and I figured it was a good as it gets. A friend of mine and I both came to the conclusion that dropping the 100+ bucks into a Brosol replacement carb was the only remedy. I did try to go with a stock distributor for a while, but all the used stock distributors I had seemed to have leaky vacuum advance units. However, even with the vacuum problems, it still ran better the 009/PICT-34 combo. The vacuum replacement units are not cheap when you can find them, so I didn't consider replacement as an alternative.

Well, thanks to the advice of our local VW Guru I came up with another solution, a cheaper fix to boot. According to the Guru, one of the big reasons that the 34-PICT/009 combo often has hesitation problems is that the 34-PICT 3 was made to run with retarded timing and the mechanical distributor was made for advanced timing. Add the two together and there are conflicts in the acceleration curve. Anyway, my solution was to run a PICT 30-2 Solex. One can buy an adapter, but it's Sunday and the VW Parts Place is closed, so I modified the existing dual port carb flange to accept the smaller ventura carb (don't let the metal shavings get into the manifold--stuff it with something) and used 12mm-headed nuts with washers to clear the fat manifold throat. I also swapped the main jets (my 30 had a #016 and the 34 had a #127.5). Man, oh man, what a big improvement!!! My '72 no longer sputter/stutters and I'm off to acceleration heaven! 8-)

Jon Christensen '56,58,62 Ghias,'56,62,67,72 Bugs,'59 Panel & '63 Camper /V\ Membership Coordinator for the Vintage VW Club of America \W/ Co-Editor of the Vintage VW Club of America Newsletter vvwca@primenet.com Kansas City Kombis' NEATO Co-Representative