Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 1995 12:31:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Re: Ramona Rests (fwd)

>After seeing that damnable RED LIGHT come on and stay on over a week ago, I >knew either the generator or the volt. reg. was kapoot, and since I'd just >put in a new battery and couldn't afford a shop diagnosis, I drove her just >the same; all the while thinking: Muir once drove 1,000miles like >this.......Well, I drove about 80 before yesterday when she decided to stay >put. >I followed Muir's procedure for testing the generator by removing both wires >from the gen., clipping the heavy one to my timing light and grounding out >the second to the gen. with the light, and got nothing; no light, even at a >scream of an rpm.

I'm not sure your diagnoses is right here. The easiest test for any gen/alt is to lift the battery positive while the engine is running. If she dies, no juice. If it still runs, theres hope. But this could still be a regulator problem. I would make absolutely sure the actual genny is bad before you spend massive effort R&R'ing it. The brushes should also be checked (replaced?). There are so many ways the battery/reg/gen can screw up you may need assistance here. Check through a bunch of books and really test each part. No one on-line can truly diagnose everything.

The generator field (small spade connector) needs to be connected to the large terminal in order for the generator to make juice. I don't see that in your test. In fact, I don't trust that test at all!

PS the most reliable repair should include new regulator/generator and battery!

Eugene '71