Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 1995 12:39:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      My on going log for this 78 x 90.5 engine (fwd)

Gene Berg Forged 78 x 90.5 engine log

Thursday, March 23rd, 1995

Said Hello to UPS woman Unloaded 5 heavy boxes, largest one wet on the bottom as it had been pouring and hailing that morning. Opened and checked the boxes and picking ticket. Opened the Crank/Fly box & well packed GBF78/Fly. WoW. I noticed that the #1 bearing had a slight tight spot as I spun it on the crank. WoW, Hadn't totally realized what a wedgemated crank really was and that I'd have to install it that way. WoW. Spent the rest of the day reading all the sheets I could find and going over the wedgemate biz. Nothing came with the boxes and I had to look at GB801 to find nothing written on the actual installation. Read FI stuff WoW. Installed FI software.

Friday morn,

installed bearing dowel pins in case, measured bearing holes and decided to shim them out .1" with paper stuffed into hole. Green loctited pins and tapped them in place. Wiped clean. Recheck depth, better.

Installed cam bearings and cam gear on cam as per inst. No washers, Spin cam in bearings with light oil and check end play, Teenee, ~.001-2 easy, loove it., remove.

Install Dist drive, & dist, no spring, re-install w all 3 shims, still loose. (.2+) Remove.

Install main bearings, #2 split 411 type is obviously superior to stock, oil goes straight to the inside surface without running around the outside. Also makes #3 split better for the same reason. Put two drops of bearing retainer behind #3 split to "fill the inscriptions?" Gently dump crank in, noting dykem scribes, clear flywheel gears from stand/mount, settle 1 & 4, OK, WoW easy with the 3rd split!! Check endplay on crank by trying feeler in behind bearing flange/crank. .0015 easy, .0025 also easy, OK stop worrying about tight end play.=7F

Light Oil and place cam, WoW, spin crank & cam. WoW, '0' backlash, absolutely NO lifting out when the crank is turned back. Still can't feel backlash, WoW. Never felt one so perfect. No need to put old bearings in and select a cam gear from my collection of old cams.

Lifters filed for oil slot, cleaned and blown through, one was plugged and had to clear some grease. Clean, put four in. Check cam clearance to lifters and crank, all easy. Incredo Crank.

Locktite and torque cam bolts, 2check gear position.

Braze pick-up tube in place, WoW.

Lunch & Log. Feeling a little better now that the crank and fly, cam gear don't need to be returned. Plus, the braze looks good.

Install bearings on rods, install rods, check side clearance, all ~ .014 Check rod running clearance, WoW, incredo-clearance to cam, case, etc. Close case for deck height, install 0ne P/C, deck is .030

When torquing the case I notice it starts to bind a bit at over 25 ftlbs.

Dinner and CR calcs, is 7.19 with the .100 spacer, need another .020 to get 6.95.

(There was a spreadsheet here but it don't convert)

After dinner decide to close case with sealant and locktight. Clean stuff up and do so. Including sump. Incredo 15mm bolt heads and washers.

Fail to correct binding so it still binds a little when torquing to 30, loosen later and tighten again, binds a bit less. Sleep on it.

Saturday March 25,

In the fifteen minutes before leaving for work I unbolt the sealed, locktighted case halves and end up removing four of the main studs. Go to work.

Get home and continue undoing the case, clean all threads, nuts, washers and case halves. Pull cam & crank & dist gear. Remove #3 split. Yuk, foolish human put two drops of green locktight on the back, DUOH! Remove all traces of Green goo and burnish backs with 400 emery and touch up faces also. Replace main studs, noticing that the 1st upper and lower are different and that you can damage the oil passage behind the lower if you try to screw the longer one in too far (almost did!). Locktight them in. Let dry over dinner. Try the crank back in the case by itself. Torque to 20, then 24, then 28, still spins easy, 32, then 34, still spins easy, YaY! Listen to ol Geno, no stinking stuff behind the bearings, not even a teeny weeny bit. Also indicates the bearing clearances are quite tight. Should get the 10W oil for break-in.

Start on Pistons. Carefully clean hands and use all new towels all the time. Read instructions for awhile. Assemble piston rings with much oil and TLC, check for proper Total Seal ring engagement, make sure the tops are in the right cylinder location, arrow forward, gaps are top and 10,2,12 and that the one keeper is in center postion. Keepers sharp side out. Not to bad, only a couple small scratches on the piston tops. Push pistons in from bottom check, label and cover. Pins move easier if you just breath on the pistons to warm/expand them.

Sunday March 26,

Do a lot of fiddling around today, cleaning, reading etc. Cleaned and picked an oil cooler, making sure the passages are clear and the fins aren't bent. Going to try a type III to get the additional temp sensor tap for FI which I think will just fit. The location, just after the cooling fins, should give the most accurate reading of oil temperature. More internal fins also. Looks nice all cleaned up. Just have to modify the fan house.

Install throttle body arms, lash caps, oil pump studs, (depth gauge getting a lot of use) oil cooler assembly. Try my oil primer pump only to find it is for a dished cam and won't fit. Fiddle with linkage mount and fan house. Notice that it fits on top of the fan tin and doesn't say anything about that in the instructions (though it's obvious).

Monday March 27,

Fax order green locktight and 10W oil. Ask a bunch of silly questions (6.95 or 7.19 etc.) of GBE. Pick up old FI stuff and old oil pumps from storage, not as much stuff as I thought. Thought I had two FI pumps and a full wire harness. Nope, just one and only four injectors. No spare pump either, bummer. How are these injectors supposed to fit the TWM fuel log anyway? Plus, I realize that the exhaust analyser does not interact with the HALTECH at all. Too bad, should have waited for an exhaust based system.

Make new oil primer pump (out of my huge stock of old pumps) for the flat cam. Install alternator stand after removing studs. I use bolts so that when the alternator fails I can just pull the whole thing out the back. Have pulled too many generators and when my fairly new alternator failed awhile back, just after I had installed the engine, I decided to always assume it is not if, just when. Have to be careful it won't leak but it's worth it on the road.

Put together the fuel system and test for pressure and pump function. The pump works, one of the injectors won't close consistently and leaks. Gas all over the basement. Call GBE about injectors fitting TWM's. These (007) injectors do not fit the TWM throttle bodies/fuel rail at all! Oops, so much for my theory of using old, cheap, easy to get type III injectors and hardware for my fabulous PEFI system.

Tommorrow's order is now 4 injectors?, 2 cans heat paint, one 2-1/4" exhaust fitting.

Tuesday March 28,

Clean Alternator and fan. Call around and find that BSH0280150036 injector is an old (1971-73) Volvo or Mercedes FI item. Go out to U-Pull liquidators and find a Volvo, pull six injectors and get them, with an exchange policy, for $6.50 each. ($5.00 outright) Start to feel better since these parts are still cheap and easy to get... Test at home and they work fine (backyard this time). I still don't see how they're going to fit and seal properly to the fuel rail though. They are almost the same as the type III 007 injectors, except that they have a barbed end.

Clean fan housing, Yuk.

Wednesday March 29,

Buy stock seals for the base of the injector, also a fuel pressure gauge since mine went down inside Jims squareback when it died. Try them. Seals don't really seal to the TWM body. Looks like I need two seals at the base, and another at the top.

Also bought fuel pump block-off, drilled out base, clean-up 3/8 npt threads, install studs, clean and mount.

Called in to GBE for brake shoes, paint, muffler flange etc. Had a pleasant talk with Gene about the FI seals, FI harness, pump pressures, driving at 85 mph past the police while programming the laptop, etc. Oops, the part number is reversed in the catalog and I don't want the 036 injector at all. I need the 201 injector which has a snap ring seal at the top and fits the bottom. It also goes for over $90 each. Ouch. Guess I won't buy them new from GBE, even if I do still have a job. "You should've gotten snap rings with the TWM bodies," Oh, that's what those things are! WoW this is a mess, at least ol Geno admitted it was wrong in the catalog and was actually in the process of figuring out all the injector part numbers from Bosch, who were not being very co-operative. OK, I'm not upset, but I sure don't want to pay $360 just for injectors I thought I had for free. I think I can exchange the 036 injectors for a spare pump at U- Pull. Ask Small Car World again for info, they are off a 944 Porsche Turbo, 84 Buick Skylark 1.8L turbo, 83-84 Pontiac Sunbird 1.8L turbo, and several BMW's, 530i, 7??i etc. Thanks SCW, calling wrecking yards now.

Well, it's pretty bad but getting better, first $30 each, then $40 here in Berkeley, but maybe $15 from San Jose'. All from BMW salvages. Bet those BMW's get wrecked more. Better go clean some more stuff now. Good thing there's not much work this week, and a holiday on Friday!

Tested the fuel pressure with one injector. Regulator was set for 30 psi just like type III is supposed to be. Injector had a nice spray. Cranked the pressure up to 40, which is about the limit of the adjustment. Injector really wailing now, spray is over 5 feet long and "highly atomized." However, when I fire the injector, the meter dips correspondingly. It did this at 30 psi too, so I don't know if it's just that the injector is just being held open too long or what.

Thursday March 30,

Installed manifold carb studs. Trim gasket down to manifold holes, attach throttle body. Gee, these 13mm nuts don't fit at all, need the 11mm narrow muffler type.

UPS lady! The 10W oil is some beauty stuff, thin, light and clear. Go to work, then down to Partsheaven where I pick up my 201 Porsche injectors for $20 each. They even go out and get two newer ones when I whine about the seals being torn up. Go to Buggy House and get more 11mm nuts, but don't find tall 4"x6" air cleaners.

Install injectors in fuel rails at last. They fit, and I figured out how to use the locking collar. But when I test them one is dead.

Clean case up, move a couple studs out further. Now I'm going out on a limb here a little, I cut a second oil groove in the lifters leading into the pushrod tube oil hole. I figure the more oil going to the head the better, and I still am amazed that the entire right side of the case gets its oil from the left, and that the #1&2 exhaust lifters are the last in line. Plus, when you look at hydraulic lifters, they have the entire center ground, so a second groove shouldn't be too much.

Check some things, dist. gear is now .008 end play with a new clamp on the dist. Mark and align dist gear. Cam endplay is over .0015 and under.002. Cam gears aligned.

Clean case halves with alcohol, lightly coat both halves with 3H sealant. Geno says one half, can says both? Install cam plug, dump in crank/fly, say buy-buy. Close case. Three drops green locktight each stud/nut. Tighten centers, then install and tighten outsides, then torque centers to 24,27,32. Torque outsides to 15,20.

Back off rod nuts and locktight. Tighten to 20, then 26. Wiping off excess as I go here. All still spinning very easy.

Install head studs, locktight and set them as deep as they'll go. Check for studs breaking through the inside with fingers, not a problem. With one P/C and a head, the studs are more than long enough, but not so long they hit the rocker arms, and the top center pair may even need to be cut some to clear manifolds.

Install P/C's and heads with no pushrod tubes and 4 nuts each to check crank clearances. I can't really see each piston skirt but I don't feel anything touching, still spins easy.

Attempt to come up with a pushrod length only to find my rocker arm studs just aren't long enough for my 1.4:1 rockers.

Friday March 31,

UPS lady again, got brakes shoes & heat paint. Off to exchange the injector, see ya!

Well, after retesting all the injectors, they seem fine. And they don't seem to leak.

Assembled the exhaust and heat exchangers. Guess I cut the flanges off to soon, they're too short. Cut the flang piece and fit it over HE. Do six brazes instead of four. Put the new 1-1/4" flanges together and in place, wire in place so they stay. Check the clearance to the engine mount. OK BRAZE, WoW. Pretty heavy, but I get OK and do nice job, mon. Very satisfying to not have to worry about the exhaust leaking, a serious matter. The brazes look good and this is definitely going to stop the leaks. Wire brush and polish inside exhaust flanges, grind the ridged ones, file flange gasket surfaces flat. Exhaust looking nice and quiet, really easy clearance to the mount, WoW. I also cut back the lower part of the heater pipes so that they actually fit straight to the heat exchanger. This was also very satisfying because the aftermarket headers 'never' fit right and always leak air badly from this connection.

Saturday, April 8,

Been at work for awhile and have been doing less engine hobbying, and even less logging.

Since last log I've installed pistons and cylinders, deflector, pushrod tubes, and heads. Sealant behind head washers, three drops green on each stud. Torqued to 15, 20 then 25. Got worried that 25 was too much so I searched around and found that though many sources say 22-23 for the 8mm studs, and 25 for 10mm, Haynes says 25 for 8mm studs with case inserts. OK, feel better, maybe the case won't crack.

Painted headers and muffler the other day, also cleaned and painted some shroud pieces and fan house. Everything looking very nice.

Installed my oil primer pump and fired up the drill. Very difficult to get oil pressure with the 10W. Even changing direction on the drill to push air out the pick-up. Had to put 5 quarts in before it grabbed. Maybe I brazed the pick-up tube on too high up. Also could be because I dress down the oil pump outside diameter to make it easy to get out, so the seal to the case is pretty bad. The 10W oil is incredible, it goes everywhere. I find that even my best attempts at a leak-free engine are being thwarted by this stuff.

Install rocker arms and pushrods (backed out the studs) and try the oil primer again. Spin crank through a couple cycles to get oil out to each rocker arm. Now I'm getting worried that my second oil groove in the lifter is too much. I could have lowered the oil pressure by doing this because the groove allows more oil to the loose rockers. Hard to tell at this point.

This was a couple days ago and I've been wiping down the case to try and find the leaks. They are not as bad as I first thought, but the valve covers, sump, and I think a couple pushrod tubes have drops on them when I look in the morning. Contemplating ripping the heads off and 3Hing the pushrod tube seals, which I didn't do because I thought the seals might work. Oh well. I also think the heads/cylinder seal may even be a source of a leak. There is no seal there and it seems absurd it would leak there, but I looks like it could be from there.

The injection wiring harness doesn't have enough length between the left and right bank injectors, so I had to splice a jumper to the left bank.

Enough gabbing here, going out to fix the rear brakes, install the other gas tank with the new fitting for the return line, replace the trans seal, and fuss with the wiring. Later.

Monday. April 10,

Yesterday ended up tricky, the wheel cylinders didn't fit, I need the 211-611-047C not F, (they switched in the middle of 1971) the backing plate adjusting holes are all torn up, and when I tried to put the wheel back on, the axle pushed through the inside and the roller bearings fell out of place. So now I'm rebuilding the axles with new bearings and repacking the CV's as well. Plus, the left rear emergency cable wasn't even connected! It is totally frozen in the flex tubing and I can't even get it out, no wonder they didn't fix it.

Also ripped out the old vaccuum hoses to the power brake booster, they didn't seem too bad but I will tolerate NO boost delay in panic stop conditions. I'm going to try a second vaccuum valve located at the booster itself to minimize the time it takes the valve to close, along with replacing all the hoses and all the wheel work.

I've also researched the head torque issue more and will now have to rip the heads off because they are on too tight. Even if the Haynes book does say 25 ft lb with case inserts and 8mm studs, Ol Geno says 18 and since this a Geno engine I'd better follow the rules. Off they come, and I'll also try to get the pushrod tubes to seal better. I also received a response from the listserv that supports 18. So be it.

At least the gas tank went in OK, the old one was pretty beat up and had several patches. The vapor breather lines had broken tubing, WoW, vapors rising to the space above the gas tank just waiting for a spark! It also has some nasty sandy sounds coming from it when it's shaken. The finger filter was pretty clogged near the bottom. New one feels much better, hope the new fitting doesn't leak.

Trans seal refuses to come out.

Todays shopping list, from Small Car World;

VWA211-611-047C(B)(x2) REAR WHEEL CYL, 1971 BUS $15.96@ VWA211-501-287 (X2) REAR WHEEL BEARING INNER $15.55@ VWA211-501-283 (X2) REAR WHEEL BEARING OUTER $37.39@ VWA211-501-317 (X4) REAR WHEEL SEALS $4.49@ VWA211-609-701P EMERG. BRAKE CABLE $12.42 VW 111-209-147A GAS TANK FINGER FILTER $3.55 VWA113-115-193M MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG $

shop around for backing plates, maybe go to U-Pull and fight for them.

WAHHH, this wasn't in the budget, but driving this beasty engine around requires the best brakes and bearings possible.

12mm Vaccuum hose from VW is $11.95 per foot.

A couple of notes here about some goals I've had for this car all along.

Awesome brakes, no boost failure due to inadequate vaccuum, emergency brakes that hold.

NO engine compartment vapors, no falling asleep at the wheel due to CO gases being blown into the passenger compartment. No bad smells. This has been a problem with dual carbureted paper air filters. The fuel injection should really help this because the fuel is below the throttle plate. I am planning to install an air intake ducted to the engine only from the older bus intake position (side of the car). That way even crankcase vapors can't reach the passenger compartment. Plus it should help free up some air for the cooling fan.

Best possible factory heat. This means no large valve heads and that all heating ducts be tight.

Quiet engine. Yuk yuk. Well, no high lift cams or headers. FI should be quieter that carbs? Just fixing the heat exchanger flanges should help= alot.

Tuesday, April 12,

Another day on the emergency brakes and wheels. Finally had to cut the emergency brake tubing in order to get the cable free. Wouldn't have had to if I had just cut the swagged ends off the front of the cable before trying to pull it out the back. But once I had the swagged piece stuck in the last four inches of tubing there was no hope. Brazed the tubing back together. I've also brazed the adjusting holes, trying to fill in the ripped steel with cement nails and the stronger 80,000 psi rod. In the process of removing the emerg brake fitting from the backing plate I ripped out the holder from the back plate and had to braze that back in. All this in favor of new backing plates ($96.00) or heading out to the wrecking yard and trying to find, and remove, good used ones. These should be even better because of the super adjusting holes.

Even after I replaced the wheel bearings with new ones and repacked with synth grease, the axle still pushed through when I went to put the wheel back on. Almost destroyed the new bearings before I realized what was happening. Obviously the problem wasn't worn bearings at= all.

Ripped the heads off the other night, the going is getting rough. Cleaning all that RTV off after prepping it so well is not easy.=20

Posted this to rec.auto.vw at this point.

Monday, April 17, Having fun reading the listserv messages and forgot to work on the bus. No, actually I managed to get the FI harness installed in the car. Worked out pretty well, the computer and relays are under the rear westy seat screwed to the side panel. I drilled and ground out a hole just below through the pan big enough for the injector connectors and ran them to the rear. The fuel pump is just in front of the axle tube attached to the framing cross member. The harness jacket had to be cut up a fair amount because they seem to think the relays will be somewhere else than the computer. Mounted a couple barrier strips in the engine compartment roof for B+ and ignition on circuits. Pump ran when I turned the key so I think it's right. I have also retested the fuel ring with injectors installed in the rails and double-checked for leaks and function. I set all my regulators (I have three) to 38 psi. One of them leaks.

So now I shall post this to the listserv and continue avoiding work and play with the bus instead.