Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 1995 14:38:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Old Bus Backfire Issue 5 *long-SE regional* (fwd)

This is the latest newsletter from the Atlanta area bus club. Points of interest for those of you in the Southeast are the Spring Campout, Buses on the Blue Ridge, and the 3rd Annual Vintage Show & Shine.

Greetings!

Greetings fellow bus-nuts. I hope everyone is getting their bus ready for a full schedule of VW-related events. I'm pretty stoked! I have just returned from the IVWA Bug Bash in N.C.. There I saw two types of old buses which I'd never seen before. A 1956 Westfalia, original condition, gas heater, roof rack and tent. The bus still has the original 36 hp motor and was driven to North Carolina from California in 4 days. A 1959 Firetruck from Germany with all the original fire fighting equipment including working siren and lights. The swap meet at the show was smaller than last year, but I still managed to spend all the money I brought with me. I hope to see many of you at the upcoming events.

Upcoming Events

April 29-30 PST's Spring Campout

This campout will be held at Indian Springs State Park, 30 miles south of Atlanta at I-75 and Ga. Hwy. 42. near Jackson Ga. Everyone is invited to attend even if you don't want to camp. Come on down Saturday afternoon to visit and participate in an informal swap meet. Some people will be going down Friday night, so watch for them. For specifics on a caravan going down Saturday morning give me a call. This is always a lot of fun so don't forget your cameras and extra parts.

May 12-14 The Great Smoky Mountain Bug Run 95

This was a lot of fun last year and should be even better this year. Anyone interested in caravanning should give me a call. We take Ga. Hwy. 411, instead of the Interstate, which is a beautiful easy 4 hour drive. For more info. see enclosed flyer.

June 2-4 Buses on the Blue Ridge

We will be caravanning up to the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville N.C. on June 2nd. If you are interested give us a call. There will be buses from as far away as Canada, Missouri and Florida. For more info call Neil Pickett @ (704) 665-1650.

June 25 Vintage Show & Shine

The "Biggest and Best Air-Cooled VW Show in the Southeast" will again be held at Southern Tech this June 25th. This show is sponsored by Peach State Transporters and will most undoubtedly be even bigger and better than the last two years. With this in mind, we will need much more help from club members to be able to host a really great show. PST is the sole sponsor for this event, so please volunteer! We will start getting together to work everything out soon. Also if you have suggestions on how to make the show even better let us know ASAP.

PST's March Meeting Report

On Sunday afternoon, March 12th a large group of buses and trucks met at Southern Tech to caravan up to the McDonald's in Woodstock. The caravan included David Easterwood - 66 Scud Camper; Dewayne Epperson - 67 Crew- cab; Bob Jarman - 65 Crewcab; Jerry Peters - 68 Singlecab; Ronnie Hunter - 68 Singlecab; Pete Durand - 66 Camper; Bob Stanek - 60 Panel Van; Walter Donilla and Allen Becker (in non VWs). Also there were two new members, Jason Mogi - 66 Deluxe and Michael Masseau - 66 Deluxe. Those who met us at McDonald's were Nick Azzolesi - 66 Kombi; Gordon Hunter - 61 23-window; Tim Humphreys - 63 Crewcab; and Chris Martel - 72 Bus. Items discussed were: The upcoming Vintage Volkswagen 3rd Annual Show & Shine, the Spring Campout, and Buses on the Blue Ridge. Dues of $3.00 per year to help defray the cost of producing and mailing this newsletter to everyone. Many members paid this and Allen and wife Susie were glad to accept it. Suggestions were made for more one day caravans and more campouts. I would like to thank everyone for coming out and was immensely pleased with the turnout. I was happy everyone brought along friends and family.

Roll Call!

Since we have had so many new members join in the past year I have listed all PST members and their oldest vehicles for your information: (* - Looking for a Bus or no information on current bus)

Marc Arnold * Nick Azzolesi 66-Kombi Gordon Hunter 61-23-Window Andy Bailey 74-Camper Ronnie Hunter 68-Single Cab Allen Becker 58-Standard C.B. Hutcherson 64-Single Cab David Bogle 67-Standard Bob Jarman 65-Crewcab Jeff Brown 71-Panel Van Chris Johnson 65-Crewcab Dusty Campbell 66-Deluxe Rick Johnson 67-Standard Louise Christensen 72-Camper Bruce Jones 64 Crewcab Chuck Coolidge 63-Camper Ron Kleber 66-21-Window Raleigh Collins 67-RHD Kombi Steve Lance 65-Deluxe Tracy Connor 66-Deluxe Kevin Macrae * Jason Cortez 66-Deluxe Michael Masseau 66-Deluxe Gurdon Counts 61-23-Window Kevin Mayfield 65-Standard Doug Davis 64-21-Window Jason Mogi 66-Deluxe Dave Davis 61-Panel Van Chuck Moody 66-Crewcab Tom Devries 63-21-Window Donald Obertein 64-21-Window Walter Donila 67-21-Window Bill Peak * Bob Duensing 67 Camper Jason Pfeffer` * Pete Durand 66-Camper Steve Podowitz 65-Camper Dave Easterwood 59-Single Cab George Ratterree 75-Camper Dewayne Epperson 67-Crewcab Mark Reimer * Thomas Eskew 64-Crewcab John Short 65-Deluxe Samuel Gainer 67-Deluxe Tom Snyder 64-21-Window Gary Gray 67-Camper Bob Stanek 60-Panel Van Justin Gray 67-Camper Jon Tanner 67-Camper Tom Hackley 62-Crewcab Mike Todd 63-Panel Van Bob Hagen 65-Single Cab John Underdown * Martin Hill * Mell Wallace 67-Camper Fred Hoger 62-Single Cab George Welch 62-Single Cab Tim Humphreys 63-Crewcab Steve Wiltin 65-Deluxe

Write Us!

Peach State Transporters is the official Georgia Chapter of NEATO.

Peach State Transporters Allen Becker 3065 Valley View Drive Powder Springs, GA 30073 (404) 943-3491

P.S. Remember to be on the lookout for potential club members. We are always happy to send out info about the club to anyone whose name & address are provided to us!

----------------------------------------------------------------------- * 59 Dbl Dr Walk-Thru Panel Dave Easterwood * * 59 & 61 Single Cab Pickups deasterw@st6000.sct.edu * * 66 Westfalia * * 66 Hardtop & Sunroof Deluxe Buses 61 Deluxe Beetle * * 73 & 77 Westfalias 69 Rust Bug * * 74 Thing 64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia * -----------------------------------------------------------------------